Home > Awareness, Family Services > The Everyday Advocate

The Everyday Advocate

Areva Martin with her book, The Everyday Advocate

Mom, lawyer and advocate Areva Martin was at the United Nations and at Border’s bookstore on April 1 discussing her new book The Everyday Advocate: Standing Up for Your Child with Autism. The book provides practical strategies, solutions and resources. As the mother of a child with autism, Ms. Martin hopes to empower other parents and caregivers to stand up for themselves and their loved ones.

Ms. Martin led an animated discussion of her book and signed copies of her new book at Borders in New York City. There were many questions from the group about advocacy, causes of autism, treatments and more. The book can be purchased through Borders, Barnes & Noble or amazon.com.

1. Kim Duran
    April 4, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Thank you for giving us parents so much help and encouragement during such challenging times. We’ve just gotten our oldest son, 3 yrs old, diagnosed with aspergers and need all the acurate info and support we can get.

2. Susan
    April 6, 2010 at 2:10 am

It took me 7 long years to find out what my son was going through….the doctor called it “Encefphylopathy”, which was about 8 pages long, but sought more information through a counselor for children affected with disabilities, the counselor handed me a book after handing him my son’s birth to 7 yrs of age related information, and said to read this and let me know what you think, I read the book until it was finished and finally had my answer…Aspergers, this was the first time I had heard that word..22 yrs ago…Harvard was doing a study on it….finally, but most of the special ed teachers never heard of it…my advise to you, see if you can get medicaid now and ssi now…you will need this, and you will need to keep your little guy busy with the things he loves to teach him letters, numbers,and words now…even when you are waiting for your dinner somewhere…make everything you do a learning situation….let him learn to read and write what he is interested in and ofcourse expose him to every situation you can..make sure your family is educated on this…because they won’t understand…because usually our kids look and appear okay until you talk with them…I always made sure he was looking at me with my hand on his sweet little face when he was small so that I was gettting his attention ….he sometimes still does this back to me at 22..he is such a beautiful young man now and I still think he is smart..my son was in therapy all his young and some adult life..he could still use some coaching…on the side of error, when you think you know what is best for him….listen, because we are always right..no one knows our children like we do..there is hope and there is help….I pray for you and your husband to be involved and stay on the same page always…good luck to you both and your little guy…you are both lucky to have other children…they can be of great importance to your son even if he is the oldest…take care, I just had to respond to your comment…I hope this gives you some help….oh, by the way, it has been said that
    according to some politics, Aspergers is going to be taken out of the picture..they call it Autism spectrum disorder…our children can get more services granted to them this way..whether it is through school system or medical…it seems that this way the process won’t be as hard for you now as it was 22 yrs ago…God Bless

• Amy fighting for Jonathan
      April 9, 2010 at 10:15 pm

You said your son is 22. Does he do well now that he is older? My son is 6 and I am wondering if you will be a thriving young man or not? Thanks

3. April 9, 2010 at 12:19 am

Today is my first time visisting the website”the cure for autism” watching an HBO documentary on autism, and it wasn’t until now i realize that there are mothers who are very courages and well in doubt fighters for their child(ren) with didabilites i have given up until now seeing all that is out organizations and programs, I thank you for all the inspiration.

I am a 21 year old single mother of 3 children and i have a three yr old autisic son and I will fight this for my son!

• Amy fighting for Jonathan
      April 9, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Don’t give up NEVER!! Fight all you can fight! Read what I wrote and maybe you will understand even more.

4. Amy fighting for Jonathan
    April 9, 2010 at 10:12 pm

I am a mom of a 6yr old son Jonathan. We were diagnosted with autism in Sept of 08. Up until then we had no idea what could be wrong. I am still fighting today for everything he has because our local authorities has no idea what to do with him. For those that will be reading this, and has just found out, fight tooth and nail for your child(re) when it comes to their learning and their needs. I found out the hard way of getting things for him, but if you fight long enough people will soon listen. Ashley, you have to fight. Because if you don’t, you, your son, and your family will be hung out to dry. I wanted to give up long ago believe me I did. But one day someone said some hurtful things to me and about my son an that’s what did it for me. There is a lot more stuff out here that what you think. Your other children will be of great help. My son is an only child and will be due to some medical conditions of my own. My son has been in therapy since he was 18 months old and up until Sept of 08 we had no idea. When we did found out I cried like a baby. Not because of my son, but because we finally knew what was wrong and could begin to get the help we needed for him.