Home > In Their Own Words > George from ARTHUR Makes a New Friend (and he has Asperger’s!)

George from ARTHUR Makes a New Friend (and he has Asperger’s!)

This guest post is by George from PBS’ ARTHUR. George lives in Elwood City.  He loves to tell jokes with his ventriloquist puppet Wally.  George also loves to build things with his Dad and play guitar.

Hi, I’m George!  You may have seen me before with Arthur and all my other friends — and my ventriloquist puppet, Wally! — in Elwood City.  They’re the best!  I also have a new friend named Carl.  He knows lots of cool stuff about trains.  I never knew there were so many different kinds!  Carl told me all about them, and showed me all the great pictures of trains that he drew from memory.

When I first met Carl, I wasn’t sure if he liked me or not.  He didn’t laugh at my jokes and he didn’t look at me that much while I was talking to him.  But then I found out it’s because he has something called Asperger’s Syndrome. I didn’t know what that was until Brain explained it to me.  He said that people with Asperger’s see things differently than other people do.

Sometimes Carl can get really quiet, or not answer when I say something.  He’s not being rude, he just acts a little differently.  Now that I understand that, I know it’s ok.  I’m learning from Carl that there are lots of different ways to be friends.  I’m glad he’s my friend.  I like him for who he is, and I think he feels the same about me!

Parents & Kids,
To see for yourself how Carl met George, tune in to ARTHUR on Monday, April 5 (check your local listings).  And, check out George’s fun coloring page, trading card and game at http://pbskids.org/arthur/friends/george/index.html.

You can watch the entire episode online here.

1. melissa
    April 4, 2010 at 2:53 pm

THANK YOU THANK YOU TAHNK YOU George for being such a good friend to Carl! Thank you writers for bringing Asperger’s into such a wonderful kids show.

2. Geena
    April 4, 2010 at 3:56 pm

This is wonderful! The Arthur cast continues to amaze me. Good job!

3. terrylynn tidwell
    April 4, 2010 at 9:25 pm

will tune into watch. my son has aspergers syndrome.

4. April 5, 2010 at 9:15 am

on monday of this week there will be an article on chicagonow.com/aymama writen by a mother whose son has aspergers–it would be worth reading for both children have the syndrome and those who don’t understand it

5. April 5, 2010 at 3:07 pm

My family has 3 generations of Aspergers in our home, our oldest is now a sophomore in college but at a young age she developed a special interest in Arthur, it helped us teach her social skills and appropriate behaviors when dealing with situations that arise in life. Her stuffed animal of Arthur lived a long loved life. I’m so grateful and pleased that the show which helped us Aspys (yes, our family even spells that differently) learn to deal with the NT world is now helping the NT world understand us. I love this show!! A-A-R-D-V-A-R-K!! THANKS AND CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL INVOLVED!! :)

6. April 5, 2010 at 10:23 pm

BRAVO to the creators of Arthur! Aspergers and other spectrum disorders get very little media attention, especially in programs geared toward our very impressionable youth. With the rising autism rates, it’s about time we see a kids program with the intention of helping other children understand.

7. Misty
    April 6, 2010 at 4:45 am

I think it’s great that the show is featuring someone with Aspergers! I work with a child in school who has it and it’s wonderful to get the word out there so other kids know. This is such a great show for children, my kids are older now but enjoyed it years ago.

8. April 7, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Brava to whomever came up with this idea of incorporating a character with Aspergers. Another example of the power of PBS KIDS. Brilliant!!!!

9. Tammy Shannen
    April 7, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Wow, at nearly 26 yrs of age, I have finally been diagnosed with Aspergers. I’m so glad that they finaly are acknowledging it and that they are teaching acceptance of our quirks ^..^

10. reinaldo j castro
    April 14, 2010 at 5:53 pm

how much more uniquely inteligent can an aspy kid get? my son is an aspy and makes mom and dad proud every day! sure it takes patience at the hard work in hand but the reward is full of life and special! what more can i ask for? its teaching me things i never thought possible! god bless family with aspys i thank god for our child! god dont put a challenge in our path we cant overcome and perfect!! head up high and unite! thanks for having a episode of a asperger kid in your show! we love it! and enjoyed it! hope to see more! thanks…..

11. November 1, 2010 at 11:09 pm

Such a perfect way to introduce Aspergers and Autism. And I love how they wove in the puzzle piece! :)
    For anyone seeking a direct URL (the one above stops a little short), here it is :

12. Anna Rounseville
    December 1, 2010 at 4:31 pm

My curiosity was piqued when I heard Carl’s speech pattern. My son was diagnosed recently (about two weeks ago). He might have it or another pddnos. Either way it resonated. Thanks for doing such a good job that it transcended a tv cartoon and really could be helpful for us grown ups and our family to start to cope with this diagnosis. Thanks Autism Speaks for the first 100 days article. Also the puzzle piece was a great awareness heads up.

13. Izzy
    June 13, 2011 at 6:03 pm

I don’t actually like Carl. To me, he feels stereotypical and forced. He doesn’t represent me, nor does he represent the many other Aspergians whom I’ve met. It’s a good start, definitely, but when autism and Asperger’s can become incidental traits in the media, instead of central ones, I’ll be satisfied.

1. April 5, 2010 at 2:06 am