Home > Awareness, Government Relations > President Barack Obama Issues Statement Supporting WAAD

President Barack Obama Issues Statement Supporting WAAD

President Barack Obama made a statement on April 2 in support of World Autism Awareness Day. He applauded the many contributions of individuals on the autism spectrum and their families.
“We are so grateful to have the support from our President, Barack Obama, in recognition of the United Nations sanctioned World Autism Awareness Day celebrated just three days ago on April 2. It is through the ongoing support and recognition that we receive from our international stakeholders and leaders that helps Autism Speaks advance our mission. We are truly thankful for his outstanding proclamation.” said Bob and Suzanne Wright, Autism Speaks’ co-founders.
  1. stephanie brown olinger
    April 6, 2010 at 8:48 pm

i am so thankful that our very special children finally has a voice. thanks mr president for help putting our children on the map.

• April 16, 2010 at 4:23 am

come help support autism, log onto the website for autism walk and awarness, and get plenty of helpful information regarding autism.

2. Robert Yalanty
    April 7, 2010 at 1:43 am

i am also glad that people are thinking like the president is.

3. April 7, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Even if you do not agree with all of his views, anyone with an autistic child has to appreciate what our president has said. Thank you Presidant Obama for putting a spotlight on such an important issue to all of us. (Even the people who believe it could never happen to their child!). I for one will support this President in his endeavors simply because of his stand for autism.

4. April 9, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Mr. President Barrack Obama,

Thank you for going public with your stand on helping those with autism and their families. The financial support for research, detection and treatment of autism is imperative. My son was diagnosed at the age of 2. We are spending our retirement savings to get him the therapies needed for him to develop and thrive. Our private insurance does not cover therapy nor the autism learning center. It costs near $100,000 a year including his special diet of formula. I am happy to report that the autism school, theraputic listening, occupational therapy, special diet and speech therapy is really working for him. He was just tested at the age of 3. In one years time he is “only” developmentally delayed and speech delayed by 1 year. I see that early intervention is the key. I did a lot of research to find the right path for my son. There are some which are not as fortunate as us. Maybe they have no retirement to spend on their child. The American people needs autism to be covered under our health insurance. This is not an education/public school problem. It is a medical problem. There need to be guidelines set forth for the parents of children with autism. Look at the increasing number of children being diagnosed as parents are made more aware of the signs. The President and his administrations awareness is a big leap in the right direction. They can direct the congressional leaders to follow suit. I believe as humans we tend to wear blinders on certain issues until someone from our small circle of family or friends is affected by it.
    Warmest regards,
    Blake’s Mom

5. Jason Smith
    April 10, 2010 at 1:22 pm

President Obama I am so glad that we all see the need for Autism awareness in America. We can’t stop now we need federal legislation for this health issue as well as funding to find a cure for autism.

From a father affected
    Jason

6. YOLANDAM SANTIAGO
    April 10, 2010 at 1:36 pm

MY SON AND ALL THE KIDS THAT HAVE THE ILLNESS AS AUTISM. WE NEED MORE HELP FOR THEM, MORE SCHOOLS, THERAPIST WE NEED ALOT OF THINGS FOR THEM. I AM A PARENT WHOM IS SO DEPRESS CAUSE I DON’T KNOW WHAT ELSE I CAN DO FOR MY SON, I SEE THERE ISN’T ENOUGH HELP THE KIDS W/ AUTISM. I WONDER WHAT MR. PRESIDENT OBAMA IS GOING TO DO FOR US THE KIDS…I HAVE PRIVATE INSURANCE AND THEY DONT PAY ANYTHING, I AM ABOUT TO LOSS MY HOME THE REASON IS BECAUSE i HAVE BEEN PAYING EVERYTHING FOR MY SON HIS ILLNESS.I AM POOR AND ALSO I AM A MOTHER OF AN ANGEL NAME AS NICK HE IS MY WHOLE WORLD.

• Hazel Francis
      April 26, 2010 at 5:49 pm

My grandson is almost eleven and we have to keep moving him from one school to another because each school don’t want to meet his needs. If we don’t move him fast enough he get suspended for hitting,
      touching or what-ever. My heart is breaking for him and the other kids who are in need of help. We need help in the public schools for kids in special ed
      I agree with you Yolanda we need more help for the kids. Somebody please help us help our children
      so they can get the education they need to be independant adults. Thank you Mr.President, please don’t foget the children of tomorrow

7. Laura Pawlendzio
    April 13, 2010 at 10:58 pm

With today’s economy we need more support for families. My 30 yr old son has autism and currently lives in a group home in Peabody. Massachusetts has instituted a new policy stating they will no longer provide transportation for individuals living in group homes to visit with their families. Imagine how this will effect aging parents who no longer are able to drive to visit their children or families who live a distance from their child. This change isolates this very vunerable population and takes away their opportunity to have those who love and care about them be actively involved in their lives.

8. Jason Ballew
    April 15, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Empty words and empty promises from an empty leader. Pandering to us who have children with autism may win you some favor from some, but not from us here in our home. If we as Americans can turn this disastrous penical of progressive socialism around, I know we will have more real help for our children than the government could ever provide.
    Your policies, Mr. President, appeal to those who have an agenda, are ignorant, or just plain stupid. To those with an agenda, you are in the minority. To those who are ignorant, just open your eyes. And to those who are stupid, well, you can’t fix stupid.

Wow, I didn’t even need a teleprompter.

• Edith
      February 18, 2011 at 8:30 am

Jason,
      Well said!!!! I agree with you TOTALLY!!
      Edith

9. bruciesrecovery
    April 16, 2010 at 3:26 am

Thank you President Obama for always supporting the American people, including those with disabilities. Health Care Reform is the change we needed to end discrimination to those in need. No longer will my son be a pre-existing condition. President Obama has kept his promises and has made the changes we needed. To Jason above, your Republican rhetoric that is ignorant like you is not needed, President Obama has made a difference in Americans lives. It is a shame that everyone in America could not receive equal Health Care because it was not beneficial to the Insurance Companies bottom line profit. These new laws in Health Care put the best interest of all Americans back in Health Care. I am sure Jason that like many Americans in the 1860’s were against ending slavery, and in the 1920’s against giving women the right to vote, History will look back and see that people like you prevent necessary progress in giving everyone equal rights and ending discrimination.

10. Jason Ballew
    April 16, 2010 at 3:38 pm

I am not a republican, but you are obviously a lib. I’m not spilling rhetoric, as these views are my own. There is nothing in this health care law that does anything to help any of us. I’m not going to sit around, and wait for a bureaucrat to decide the fate of my son, or family.
    To add further insult, you infer that I am a racist, and a sexist, instead of offering up some sort of proof of how these laws will help. Please, quote the parts of the bill for me that will do anything to improve the system.
    None of us have a constitutional right to health care. The government is overstepping it’s bounds, and weakening the very fabric of our nation. Our system need reform, not fundamental reconstruction of our founding documents.
    We as a people are the most generous, caring, compassionate, and willing to lend a hand on the face of the earth. We can, and should help each other, but if you cut open the goose to get the golden eggs out, there will be no more eggs. I will not advocate the destruction of these United States. If you like socialized, fascist, marxist, communist, progressive life, might I suggest you move to a country where these things exist already, or maybe talk to people who have lived under it’s oppressive weight.
    Grow up, stop acting like victims.

11. bruciesrecovery
    April 16, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Jason its amazing the lack of understanding you have, I never once referred to you as a racist or a sexist, I simply pointed out that history will show how ignorant people are in regards to change. When the Constitution was written in the late 1700’s it failed to address many social issues. Amendments to the Constitution is what we needed and made this country stronger, without these amendments slavery would still exist, women would not have equal rights as men do, and we would still have racial segregation. When President Obama signed this bill it ending children with disabilities being discriminated based on disabilities they were born with. I can now have my Autistic child on Insurance until he is 26 years old, he will receive all services prescribed by his neuro-developmental psychologist thanks to this bill because it ends the loophole that insurance companies used to deny claims for services. Giving every child and every American the right to Health Care is a big step. Ending the pre-existing clause that Insurance companies used to deny Americans in need of coverage no matter if it is chemotherapy for cancer patients, ABA, OT, PT and Speech therapy to children affected by Autism, Americans who have diabetes and the many other illnesses that affect Americans who were dropped because it just was not in the best interest of the bottom line profit for Insurance companies. Its not about being a liberal, its about protecting our rights and ending all types of discrimination

12. November 23, 2010 at 11:07 am

justyna is adn there is no olek hinz on the webiste. the only olek hinz ono everyobamas website is by the unke olek from czech.

13. olekhinz
    December 1, 2010 at 3:55 am

write on notepad program how do you treat austisitc poeple. ignore the first email 2 by olekhinz on this website. by olek czech uncle.

14. December 3, 2010 at 11:48 am

You can ignoer all the hinz email in this website if you want to. please ignore them.

15. February 2, 2011 at 1:45 pm

can you write back?

16. November 13, 2011 at 3:36 am

Thank you so much Pres.Obama for making this initiative. This is one of the best thins you have done Sir. :)

17. January 20, 2012 at 8:06 pm

I think god that president obama supports the issue with autium.my son was diagnoise at age 3 he is almost 8 yrs.old now .For people who don’t have a child thats autistic i would expect your not to understand or care but never say it can’t happen to you.For people who get the big picture we need to find a cure for kids with autism we as parents, family and friends need to fight this issue.We can do this together because if we don’t fight for them know body else will.their is to many kids coming up with autism ,I say let’s fight this together.

1. April 6, 2010 at 9:19 pm