Home > Awareness > The Pin is In!

The Pin is In!

Who was recently spotted wearing the Autism Speaks puzzle pin? Food Network’s Giada De Laurentiis!

We received the following e-mail and photos from Lehigh Valley Walk Now for Autism Speaks committee member, Gloria Vollert: “We went to King of Prussia Mall and Alex (my 12-year-old son who has autism) got to meet Giada de Laurentiis from Food Network. He gave her an Autism Speaks pin and she immediately put it on and shook his hand and thanked him. He was veryyyyyyy pleased. He is ‘never washing his hand again.’ She was very nice and sweet to him. She took a lot more time with him than the other people going through the line. She also posed for a photo which she did not do for anyone else. Overall it was a very nice day.”

Alex and Giada de Laurentiis

1. Kathleen Russell
    April 6, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Chris Matthews was wearing his puzzle piece pin in his lapel during “Hardball” (his show on MSNBC) on April 2!

2. Susan Duke
    April 6, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I love watching Giada on FoodNetwork and love her recipe’s. Now, I love her even more for being so kind to Alex and for sporting the puzzle piece! :) AND- thank you Alex for giving her the pin to spread awareness!

3. April 6, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Hi I’m a mom who son is autistic but is 30 years old. I guess I have a concerned when I look for books or assistant on helping my son but I am not able to find much that will help for an adult, mostly everything I find is for children and some on adolescence. Why is it that we forget that our children grow up and are still autistic they don’t grow out of this at least not for some. Yes some of the things that we use for children can apply for adult, but many adult would rather be treated as an adult so certain technique should be used verse using as a child because they know the difference. My son falls in the low range of autism, however I have help him become independent and able to live in his own home with assistants. He has severe behaviors that sometime disrupt his independents but with certain technique and everyone on the same page he is still able to function independently.

I get very frustrated when I can’t find much in relation to adults to assist in today’s world, Parents remember you child with autism grow up and what do you do then.

Linda and Jeremy

4. Jennifer Smith Rodrigues
    April 6, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Hi Linda,
    I am an employee of Autism Speaks. If you have not seen it already, Autism Speaks is part of a consortium called Advancing Futures for Adults with Autism. The website is http://www.afaa-us.org. The website includes a tab with some resources for adult services. I hope you find it helpful!
    Jennifer Smith Rodrigues
    Lehigh Valley/Nantucket Walk Director, Autism Speaks

5. Dan
    April 7, 2010 at 1:09 am

Thank you Linda. Although my son is still a teen I also have the same concerns about adulthood,
    and thank you Jennifer I was not aware of the site you referenced.

6. Diane Goldberg
    April 7, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I already have a pin but would like to purchase another one. How do I do that? My grandson, 12 1/2 years old, is on the spectrum with Asperger’s. He is an amazing young man with much potential. It’s a privilege to be his grandmother and look forward to nothing but good things for him as he grows to manhood. My daughter and I are very active in this cause as are Matt’s entire extended and blended families. Thank you Giada so much for extending yourself to Alex. Sometimes people forget that just because you are on the spectrum doesn’t mean that you should not be treated with dignity and respect. Diane Goldberg, Massachusetts

7. Trish
    April 12, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Giada, thanks for showing that you care for my Grandaughter with Autism and all of the other children affected with this.

1. April 12, 2010 at 6:18 pm