Home > Autism in the News, Awareness > CBS Evening News – Where America Stands on Autism

CBS Evening News – Where America Stands on Autism

On Saturday, April 17, CBS’ Evening News featured a segment entitled “Where America Stands on Autism.” The segment focuses on a wide range of autism research being supported in part, by Autism Speaks. Dr. Geri Dawson, Autism Speaks’ chief science officer, is interviewed as well as Joe Piven at UNC and the Henderson family, who are study participants. The story also featured a groundbreaking discovery by the Autism Genome Project, led by Dr. Hakon Hakonarson. To participate in the imaging study featured in the story please visit http://www.ibis-network.org/.Read a guest post by one of the EARLI Study’s Outreach Coordinators and watch the segment below.

1. Jon K. Evans
    April 17, 2010 at 11:38 pm

I just happened to be watching the CBS Evening News tonight Saturday, April 17, 2010. The piece mentioned the increase in the diagnoses of Autism, and the substantial strides in our understanding of the disorder.

I was, however, dismayed because the piece centered entirely on children-well and good. Autistic Children should be attended to as expeditiously as possible-lest they turn out like me!

Therein lies the problem!

I wasn’t diagnosed with Asperger’s/Autism until I was 47 years of age, and even then, only after I went to seek help. What prompted me to seek that help was that I was having adjustment problems on a brand new job that threatened to cause me to lose that job!

I’d like to see more research in late diagnoses of Autism. The services would naturally come after that.

• Tom
      April 19, 2010 at 6:58 pm

Jon,

I am a father of three; my oldest boy has Autism. I was wondering what type of behavior prompted you to get tested and diagnosed. I too have great difficulty adjusting and behavior out of the ordinary.

Tom

2. Laurie Nixon
    April 18, 2010 at 4:03 am

Hello,
    I am a military spouse deployed with my active duty ARMY husband in Vilseck, Bayren, Germany. Please help me in my fight to update the school district in special needs services. The American public tends to forget about us American families deployed around the world. Don’t we deserve the best for are children as much as in The States??? Please contact me, I am only one person, please make my voice louder!!!

3. Jeremy Childress
    April 18, 2010 at 3:40 pm

More people need to get involved with Autism theres more kids that suffer from it than we realize.We need to get involved because this is the future and it isn’t going away.

4. Becky Goldsmith
    April 18, 2010 at 5:37 pm

I wish schools,teachers, educators, and specialist would help more with fixing, helping and teaching kids that have autism. We have been trying to get the school help us teach him with communication, social skills, and comprehension since 1st grade no futher ahead and he is going into 5th grade. Just wish I knew what to do next.

• asd mom
      April 20, 2010 at 1:22 am

Becky,

It sounds as if your school doesn’t know how to implement these things for your son. Many schools SAY they do, and tell you what you want to hear, but if they are not following through with goals set forth in your son’s IEP, call the state. Make sure you know your state’s special ed laws so that you know when the school is not following them. Back when my son was in elementary school, I made it clear that I knew special ed laws. However, I also offered to help implement social skills activities (for example, making a schedule for peers to eat lunch with my son 2:1, as the lunch table was overload for him), so the SPED Director knew I wasn’t just all talk. Knowledge is power.

5. Katie Wright
    April 19, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Describe, Describe, Describe…nothing new or innovative at CHOP
    What is causing the genetic mutation- that is the question we need answered- and the answer will only come w/ environmental research.

Rather than focusing on ANY of the immediate and serious medical needs affecting children today, or any of the triggers parents commonly report caused their child’s regression or autism, CHOP only focuses on the 10% of ASD cases in which a child has a chromosomal abnormality.

We already know their brains are different, we already know they respond more slowly to their name, we already know what causes brain enlargement the question is how to help the kids living NOW and identify the environmental triggers. It will be much easier to do that than transform our genes.

The children here are relatively high functioning. Possibly that is what CHOP wanted because sick ASD children do not fit into their “autism is genetic” paradigm.

6. louis
    April 19, 2010 at 10:17 pm

my little girl is a honor student,but has a hard time socializing in her classroom and misunderstanding some intentions of her teacher,and then she gets so upset that she might even bite herslef.And I would like to talk to someone with same sytoms. And is there any socialskills to help her. Sign a Very concern Dad.

7. Eiman
    April 21, 2010 at 1:40 am

People need to start using People First Language…. http://www.disabilityisnatural.com/