Home > Autism in the News > In Memoriam: Dr. Stanley Greenspan

In Memoriam: Dr. Stanley Greenspan

Stanley I. Greenspan, M.D., the world’s foremost authority on clinical work with infants and young children with developmental and emotional problems, passed away on April 27, 2010.

Dr. Greenspan was Clinical Professor of Psychiatry and Pediatrics at George Washington University Medical School and Chairman of the Interdisciplinary Council on Developmental and Learning Disorders. The world’s foremost authority on clinical work with infants and young children with developmental and emotional problems, his work has guided parents, professionals and researchers all over the world.

Memorial contributions may be made to the Stanley Greenspan Memorial Scholarship fund, established by the Greenspan family to support future leaders in the field of infant mental health and developmental disorders, currently enrolled or applying to the ICDL Graduate School. Applications for this scholarship will be made available online soon.

We sincerely thank Dr. Greenspan for all of his contributions to the autism community.

Source: http://stanleygreenspan.com/

1. Sarah
    April 29, 2010 at 10:14 am

My family is personally indebted to the principals initiated by Dr. Greenspan.

After starting a strict Lovaas style program – I knew within a week of watching them making my child touch whatever 10x in a row – I knew this was torture and would be counterproductive.

The search for something else was on – and luckily we fell upon a wonderful VB/NET/Floortime consultant who trained me, my husband and the most dedicated teams of 4th year psychology students (we are very lucky to live very close to a major university) to PLAY while always having our VB targets in mind to test and to teach the next step (yup, plenty of data recorded post session). Our program was all over the house, the yard, our older neighborhood that Jane Jacobs would adore http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Jacobs, buses, downtown, the mall, the woods, the dog parks, the playground, you name it.

This amazing program couldn’t have happened without Dr. Greenspan and his work.

… Just one of millions of families who benefited from his work.

2. April 29, 2010 at 11:36 am

What a terrible loss for the Autism Community … he changed lives and will be so greatly missed!

3. April 29, 2010 at 10:35 pm

Dr. Greenspan was truly a great man. I put several quotes from his book, “Engaging Autism” in my tribute article at http://www.examiner.com/x-43538-DC-Autism-Examiner~y2010m4d28-Dr-Stanley-Greenspan-dies-at-69-founded-Floortime-and-developmental-approaches-to-autism-therapy. My favorite is when he wrote, “The child may have a disorder or a set of problems, but he is not the disorder. He is a human being with real feelings, real desires, and real wishes.”

4. Cindy
    April 29, 2010 at 11:42 pm

The autism community has lost an important figure. May he rest in peace.

5. Doonie Mishulovin
    May 3, 2010 at 1:08 am

Dr. Greenspan was a giant. I just found out he passed away reading this memorium.
    He taught me so much about learning, and his ideas have become part of my life as both a parent and educator.

May his memory be blessed.

6. May 14, 2010 at 4:19 pm

As our way of honoring Dr. Greenspan, PediaStaff is auctioning off an autographed copy of his book Infancy and Early Childhood to benefit the new Dr. Stanley Greenspan Memorial Fund.

Please join us in publicizing this auction so that graduate students may continue to honor his life’s work..

For more information, please contact: Heidi Kay at heidi@pediastaff.com

7. Patty Seidl
    February 13, 2011 at 8:21 pm

I am so very saddened to just learn of Dr. Greenspan’s passing. Not a day goes by that I don’t say a prayer of Thanksgiving for this dear man! We met Dr. Greenspan when our son, Matt, was 2. He is now a successful 20 year old who is a sophomore at Purdue University studying psychology.
    Matt was diagnosed with autism at the age of 2. We were blessed to hear of Dr. Greenspan and flew out to meet with him right away. I had been told by the doctor we initially received the diagnosis from that Matt would be ” a nerd, social outcast, and never fit in today’s society”. Matt had no language and was very violent at times. He also had no eye contact. The story of Matt is so long, but I can say that by the time Matt was in kindergarden he was with out any special needs! Dr. Greenspan had told us to treat Matt’s case like it was a medical emergency and do everything he told us to do, including floor time and Tomatis Auditory Training.
    Because of this wonderful man’s expertise, we have a wonderful successful son with a bright, beautiful future. Matt loves sports and has played every sport possible throughout his school years. He was the captain of his high school soccer team and earned the prestigious award for leadership at his school.
    He is now attending Purdue University with the goal of helping others as Dr. Greenspan has. How can I ever express my gratitude to him and his family. It is overwhelming to think of just how many lives have been touched by this wonderful man!! He will never be forgotten by our son Matt and the whole Seidl family! God bless you Dr. Greenspan!!