Home > Awareness > Tune In – Team Braverman on NBC’s”Parenthood”

Tune In – Team Braverman on NBC’s”Parenthood”

Tune in to NBC’s “Parenthood” next Tuesday, May 18 at 10 p.m./9 Central. The all-new episode, Team Braverman, features members of the family participating in a Walk Now for Autism Speaks event.

Peter Bell,  Autism Speaks’ Executive Vice President, was on set in Los Angeles and penned a blog post about his experience. Earlier this season, we spoke with Jason Katims, the show’s writer and executive producer. He tells how having a 13-year-old son with Asperger Syndrome inspired one of the show’s main storylines.

Check your local listings for show information.

UPDATE: Watch the entire episode here on Hulu. Also, the episode is being re-broadcast on Saturday, May 22 at 8 p.m. EDT. Check your local listings for show information.

Watch “The More You Know” PSA starring the cast of “Parenthood,” which aired after the episode.

1. Juan Navarro
    May 13, 2010 at 7:47 am | #1

As a parent of children with ASD I am happy to see a show like Parenthood providing a glimpse of what we Parents in the Spectrum go through. The show is a great vehicle to raising awareness and could do even more by presenting dedicating a bit more to subject. It needs to portrait a bit more of what autism is besides the very high functioning Asperger’s Syndrome. But, kudos to NBC, the producers of the show, the actors, and all involved for bringing ADS to the front burner.

2. Debbie Kessel
    May 13, 2010 at 12:55 pm | #2

I agree, it is great to have a program as popular as Parenthood to show those who do not have Autism in their lives a glimpse of what its like. But I also wish that if they are going to do this, they would not give quick moments of time that in real life can take months or even years to accomplish, i understan the need to condence for the show but to much is skipped over…it’s misleading…like when they showed him playing ball with the little girl……that happened with one compromise with the therapist for a lizzard or something and he happily went on his way and played for “hours”….this might lead people to believe children with Autism will be compliant with a single request and reward. As the grandparent of a 4 year old on the spectrum, I along with his mother,therapists and other family members have spent countless hours trying to get him to do very simple tasks. Someone new to the diagnosis may watch this program and not realise the time, money and energy spent getting Autistic kids to do something as simple as play with another child. Or that it simply may never happen. I guess in all this rambling my point is an Autistic child is not easily consoled nor will they just say ok…. and do what is asked of them…it takes a lot of work to get there….I think the show needs to be more focused on the difficulty and not a happy ending before we know what it really took to get there.

3. Dianne Orr
    May 14, 2010 at 8:47 am | #3

I think this show is great to show that autism is a spectrum disorder and some of us are at the high end of the spectrum. It appears to me that most shows show the lower functioning kids and so when I go public with my moderate functioning child, people don’t understand. Shows like this help.

4. Amy Turner-Iannacci
    May 15, 2010 at 4:23 pm | #4

I agree with Dianne…my son has PDD-nos and is often misunderstood. Although he doesn’t have Asperger’s, shows like Parenthood help us to educate our son’s peers, school team, friends and family. I think Parenthood does a great job of balancing the positives with the challenges that many of our families face…thank you to NBC and the entire cast and crew!

As a proud “Walk Now For Autism Speaks” Cincinnati committee member, I’d like to say “GO TEAM BRAVERMAN”!!!! Our walk is on May 22, 2010 and I couldn’t have asked for better PR with this episode airing on our NBC media partner’s Tuesday night schedule–thank you Channel 5 (WLWT)!

• Lorie
      May 18, 2010 at 3:13 pm | #5

Good luck w/your walk Amy! I am a proud walk committee member for the Lehigh Valley and the #4 top fundraiser for this year’s walk! So far this year we raised $440,000 and hope to top last year’s $516,000. Our walk was 4/17 and it was awesome. Godd luck on your weather and I hope all goes well!! Lorie Gallagher

5. Hanh Stauffer
    May 17, 2010 at 1:29 pm | #6

Kudos to the show “Parenthood”, it’s waaaay past the time we show/educate/make aware the general public of a fast grown disability “Autism” which effects about one out of 140 baby boys being borne in the US and around the world.

My question is why haven’t we done this sooner or why can’t be produce a TV series on Autism? We’ve had a show on “Down Syndrome” which was “Life Goes On” great show but we need to expand more on the subject of Autism Spectrum Disorder so the world will learn to except children/adults with special needs who sound,look, and talk different and most of all learn different then “typical” humans.

I hope a network will take this great opportunity to come up with a wonderful show that is both educational and true to the disorder and project it in a kind light/loving but also, the hardship that comes with it to the family in the day to day task.

6. April
    May 17, 2010 at 3:12 pm | #7

I love this show! I think it’s a great begining in t.v networking to start bringing awareness to somthing that is long over-do! I hope this will be the gateway to many more shows bringing light to Autism, and more awareness. Kudos NBC, I will keep watching!!!!!

7. Regina
    May 18, 2010 at 2:54 pm | #8

My husband and I love this show! We have a 5 year old who has PDD as well as epilepsy and we can completely relate to the show. Awareness is the key and I am proud to say my family has walked with Autism Speaks/Central Valley for the past two years as Team Joseph’s Journey and we will continue for the sake of our son as well as others.

8. mom
    May 18, 2010 at 3:58 pm | #9

I love this show. I think it did a wonderful job showing the audience that these kids are different. Many people just think my son is bad, because he doesn’t always do as he’s told. Or because, he acts out when he doesn’t get his way. People need shows like this to help them understand children with Asperger’s. My favorite part of the show, of any episode was when the older sister of the Aspereger’s child told her dad, how their whole family, her whole life is all geared around her little brother’s moods. That really hit home for my family. It was as it someone, had walked right into our lives and our home.

9. Seana
    May 18, 2010 at 4:04 pm | #10

I love this show! I was pleasantly suprised when their son was diagnosed with Aspergers. I have a 15 year old daughter that is deaf and diagnosed with PDD.
    It makes you feel as if you are not alone.

10. Seana
    May 18, 2010 at 9:35 pm | #11

Seana :I love this show! I was pleasantly suprised when their son was diagnosed with Aspergers. I have a 15 year old daughter that is deaf and diagnosed with PDD-NOS.It makes you feel as if you are not alone.

11. Rebecca
    May 18, 2010 at 11:13 pm | #12

Parenthood is a good show that shows as “realisticly” as Hollywood can illustrate little blurbs of everyones’ lives out there…I watch it for ASD (my own son) and feel a tiny connection (which means a lot!) to me because it definately feels like I’m all by myself trying to raise him. Thanks NBC.

12. Dia
    May 22, 2010 at 10:24 am | #13

I really enjoy the program also. It does try to help one understand what it’s like to have a child with autism. Sometimes I wish the story would involve how other people (especially the other classmates) accept the child with autism. It’s very hard to sometimes deal with the moods, and what about the child that cannot communicate well because they don’t talk much. They always say that mostly boys have autism but what about the girls that have it also? It’s a very hard thing to deal with and sometimes other people can make it even harder. I feel for all the families that have to deal with this everyday!

1. May 21, 2010 at 12:32 pm | #1