Home > In Their Own Words > In Their Own Words – The Lonely and Disregarded

In Their Own Words – The Lonely and Disregarded

Robin Bailey e-mailed us this poem written by her 16-year-old son, Blake, who has autism. Both his local and school newspapers have printed it.

There, he stands
Watching those that don’t know he stands
In short distance, lonely and disregarded
Waiting for a friend understanding and trusted.

There, he stands
Shedding the tears inside, unnoticed
Listening in misery, lonely and disregarded
Thinking of a sad, cruel world he exists on.

There, he stands
Scared of speaking, for he sees anger
He remaining silent, lonely and disregarded
Crouching in a corner like an old memory.

There, he stands
Waiting for a person to stare and speak
Smiling and breaking him from lonely and disregarded
Wrapping arms around, as true friendship.

There, he no longer stands
No longer lonely and disregarded
Smiling with the purest glee
For he found that friend.

“In Their Own Words” is a series within the Autism Speaks blog which shares the voices of people who have autism, as well as their loved ones. If you have a story you wish to share about your personal experience with autism, please send it to editors@autismspeaks.org. Autism Speaks reserves the right to edit contributions for space, style and content. Because of the volume of submissions, not all can be published on the site.

Categories: In Their Own Words Tags: ,
  1. July 10, 2010 at 10:59 am

Its really make us think how so many take life for granted donst it.

2. Gale
    July 10, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Blake is a fine poet. This is a beautiful poem I would like to share on our Tucson autism google group. Is that okay if I give full credit to the author?

3. July 10, 2010 at 4:10 pm

This is so beautiful. It made me cry. When i read this i see my vinnie, always alone, not one friend to play with. I feel his pain. Me and my husband try to be his playmates the best we can. He has very poor social skills. Not one child that lives near us will play with him. I hope one day he will find a true friend. Great poem!!! Thanks for sharing Lisa Mango

4. July 10, 2010 at 5:26 pm

What touching poem…thanks for posting it.

5. Marcia
    July 10, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Blake speaks to the heart and soul of all of us. A smile and open arms warm each and everyone of us. Beautiful words and strong emotion.

6. Tammi Gillen
    July 10, 2010 at 6:53 pm

That is so true all those children want is understanding and friendship. They have so much love, adornment, admeration and desire to be a friend to share laughs, special moments and to just see someone smile at them with tenderness in their eyes. My granddaughter has autism and is 9 and because her autism is not a wheelchair,crutch or a noticeable thing till she speaks then she gets strang reactions from children, she loves to be a friend and she enjoys other childrens company even those who can be cruel, she just lets it go and tries to conquer their friendship. i admire my little princess and i wish the world was more like her. Loving, understanding and not judgemental. go taylor!!! nunnie loves you forever and always!!!!!!!

7. Sheldon Stubbs
    July 10, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Beautiful!!!!

I could see my 16 year old in those words. Beautifully written piece!!!

8. July 11, 2010 at 9:25 pm

I have a 14 year old son with Aspergers and I have seen that lost and lonely look in his eyes way too often…….Blake is a beautiful child. God bless Blake, God bless you for raising such a beautiful child.

9. Pepper Pascal
    July 13, 2010 at 11:15 pm

Oh. Wow.

10. Noreen
    October 20, 2010 at 11:11 pm

He needs to write more :) Fantastic!!!! It also shows that we really need to listen to the Heart and show Good Will towards others. To many people wrapped up in: money, impressions, materials and too many beautiful, artistic people who are loving and sweet left in the corner. We need to “refocus” our BIG picture is getting “fuzzy”. Hugs and congrats to him. Please keep writing, I PROMISE, I’ll buy his book!

1. July 10, 2010 at 8:16 pm