Home > Adults with autism, Awareness > Tune In – ABC World News Tonight

Tune In – ABC World News Tonight

In a story scheduled to air tonight, ABC World News Tonight with Diane Sawyer will feature Autism Speaks Executive Vice President of Programs and Services Peter Bell and his family in a segment on preparing adolescents with autism for life as adults. ABC recently spent the day following Peter and his wife Liz at home as they build a transition program for their 17 -year-old son Tyler, who has autism. The segment will highlight the challenges many families face in preparing their children for adulthood when educational entitlements go away and services are limited and opportunities are few. For more information on what Autism Speaks and other organizations are doing to improve the outlook for adults with autism, please visit Advancing Future for Adults with Autism.

Click here to find the viewing time in your area.

1. August 11, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Hope! Jeffrey Stanton represents the hope that exists for kids with autism. Check out a recent story written by Charlotte motor Speedway. Jeffrey not only is racing a race car at Charlotte motor Speedway but even more important he is helping thousands of kids with autism and other serious needs with his charity he founded when he was eight years old. Despite his own struggles with autism he is every bit of the meaning of hope, kindness and caring. http://www.charlottemotorspeedway.com/media/news/576810.html
    He needs sponsorship for his racing and also for his charity. He has helped over 6500 kids but knows he can triple that this coming Christmas season with some added help from others.

2. Ginger
    August 16, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Thank you for the story on ABC world news. I just stumbled upon it as my son was flipping channels! We are going through the transition stage right now with our 22 year old son. He finished school in June. We are lost! There has to be something meaningful I can find for our son to do.

3. amy
    August 16, 2010 at 8:43 pm

I couldn’t agree with you more Ginger. I also have a 17 year son named Tyler. He wants to work and save for things he wants. I applaude him. Out of my three children, he is my most diligent worker and would make a super employee. He will finish high school but then what? I feel like from here, we are on our own. Alone.

4. David Gendreau
    August 18, 2010 at 1:17 am

From TV, reading the printed News, searching the Internet, you’d believe that only children born lately have autism.

My wife and I live in Scottsdale AZ and we will be married 46 years this November. We have an ‘autistic daughter’ who still lives with us. She is now 44 years old. Yes 44!!!  A lost autistic generation.  With 24 hour/day for 44 years my wife and I ARE autism experts and know first hand what AUTISM IS, and what autism IS NOT!!!

The media has lead people to believe that autism is a “new generational medical problem” that only “children-of-late” have, and of those rarely mentioned adult autistic people, that they are all “mental savants” like Temple Grandin or Dustin Hoffman in the movie “rainman”.  It would be nice – for a change, – if SOMEONE would write about what we as a society can do for these autistic adults who cannot care for themselves, – many many many thousands, – that soon will have no-one & no-place to go.  Autistic adults do not “fit” into ‘assisted living’ or ‘group homes’.   Their aging parents or relatives who have cared for them 24/7 for many many many years, – suffer selflessly the most in silence, – every minute of every day.
    David & Mary

5. autismspeaksfan
    November 10, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Well said David! And thanks Autism Speaks for bringing this up on the news. We definately need more awareness. There’s a good videooo on youtube called, “Where do Severely-Autistic Adults Go After Special Education Ends?” It talks about this. Also some good posts by journalists in various newspapers over the past few years, talking about how their children are gettting older and there’s no places set up to handle autistic adults with challenging behaviors.

6. autismspeaksfan
    January 19, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Shocking Patient Neglect of Autistic Person posted on YOu Tube under that title, “shocking patient neglect of autistic person.”

7. November 13, 2011 at 3:31 am

I missed this one.
    I can’t even imagines how the parents of an autistic child goes through their daily lives. I am sure that it takes a lot of self-determination, dedication, emotional and psychological strain, as well as the financial strain as well.
    I am sure that it takes a lot of love to remain strong under all these strain.

1. August 16, 2010 at 7:14 pm