Home > Corporate Sponsors > Take the Family and Friends to UNO’s Labor Day Weekend and Benefit Autism Speaks!

Participating* UNO’s restaurants are donating 20% of all sales to Autism Speaks during the Labor Day Weekend as part of its UNO Dough Rai$ers promotion.  Host a lunch, dinner or both at your local participating UNO’s and have a great meal while knowing that part of the proceeds are going towards helping our families struggling with autism everyday.   Spread the word to your friends and families!  Don’t cook this weekend, go to UNO’s!

*Restaurants in Florida, Massachusetts, New York City area, Chicago, Northern Virginia and Maryland (excluding Deep Creek, Md.)

1. September 3, 2010 at 2:31 pm

I need some information mailed to me….Please! My nephew has been so traumatized from this Autism….So much if fact…Here is my story…He has been kicked out of school…First his school sent him to a school for troubled kids…Just found out that, He tried to escape ,and ran through the woods and tried to get over a fence….This was at recess…It took 4 grownups to bring him back up to the school…He got so stressed out…That they called the clay county law…They came handcuffed my 10 year old Nephew….:( Tried to call his Father..He missed the call…He tried to call that number back and he couldn’t get through…So he went to pick up my Nephew and that is what he saw….On his little belly handcuffed …My brother in-law asked them to release his son…The officer said..(when he calms down I will)My brother in-law said he is calm….Then the officer pulled my brother in-law to the side and said he was about to tase him…..wth!!!!Could’ve killed him!!!!! So now the so called Doctor is requesting in home schooling…He is not allowed back at school…He also throughs fits on buses and they had to pull over and call my sister to come get him….He claws,punches and attacks others….The bus driver was also clawed up from him….Please someone help us and tell us what to do!!!I beg of you….The doctor puts him on so many medicines…Nothing last, he also has black outs and doesn’t remember half of what he has done….Then he just breaks down crying….So sad! They only do blood work on him ….I seen on here about urine testing….Please write me back as soon as possible…..Truly,Tammy Jacksonville,Fl

• Charlotte
      September 3, 2010 at 11:57 pm

Dear Tammy…your message is heartbreaking. Even more so because I believe yours is a common story. See http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/02/business/02kids.html?_r=3&pagewanted=1&partner=rss&emc=rss for a recent article on how medications can do more harm than good for kids with autism. Our kids are not lab rats! I recommend getting in touch with Dr. Robert Sears…author of The Autism Book (See his website: http://www.theautismbook.com/)…he is a minimalist (meds are a last resort). Tell him what is going on, the meds your nephew is on, and why the doctors told your family those meds were necessary. See if Dr. Sears agrees with your nephew’s doctors based on what your nephew was like before he started taking the meds. It sounds to me like your nephew needs new doctors (who believe in first DOING NO HARM to their patients) and some good support services (check with your local disabilities rights center / center for disabilities studies – perhaps run through a large university in FL?) that can come to your home and provide care and intervention for your nephew, as well as support and respite for your family. There are resources out there for kids with autism diagnoses. The support services group should be able to hook your nephew up with a school that will be a good match for his abilities and your concerns for his security. In the meantime I can only offer my prayers for your family and your nephew. Please let me know if you get this message and how things turn out?

• Charlotte
      September 4, 2010 at 12:26 am

I found another website for you that will be helpful and provide FL contacts with experts on autism and its various treatments…
      “FDDC” stands for “Florida Developmental Disabilities Council”
      Please reach out to them and tell your nephew’s story. They can help…and they want to!

• Charlotte
      September 10, 2010 at 2:00 am

I took the liberty of contacting the FL agency I mentioned with the link for this webpage and this was their reply…

“Please ask Ms. Dickerson to get in touch with the Advocacy Center for Persons with Disabilities at 1-800-342-0823. They may be able to help.

Rose Coster
      COMMUNICATION COORDINATOR
      Florida Developmental Disabilities Council, Inc. (FDDC)
      124 Marriott Drive, Suite 203
      Tallahassee, Florida 32301-2981
      Ph: (850) 488-4180 | (800) 580-7801
      Fax: (850) 922-6702
      TDD: (850) 488-0956 | (888) 488-8633

2. Kim Schrack
    September 3, 2010 at 2:41 pm

How do I find a location that is paricipating in this? Every Uno’s I have called today is a franchise that knows nothing about the fundraiser. I live in Horsham, PA, north of Philadelphia.

3. September 4, 2010 at 7:21 am

Why not NJ?

4. September 6, 2010 at 4:47 pm

I am very disappointed in this promotion/event. We went to UNO’s, but they only contribute the 20% to Autism if you have a voucher from online. We spoke to the manager, and they agreed to contribute for our meal, but I am sure many many people ate there this weekend thinking their money was going to autism and it isn’t. The promotion was hidden by handouts at the counter that you would never see if anyone is standing there, and that’s where everyone stands. The sign was only visible as you were leaving, so if you missed it, and didn’t ask about it as we did, your money would not go to autism by simply eating at UNOs. Very tricky promotion – felt like a big scam to get people into the restaurant without having to pay out money for the cause.

• Charlotte
      September 7, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Thanks so much Gilda for clarifying that. Next time Uno’s does this promotion, I’ll be sure to just donate to Autism research / advocacy groups directly instead of using a middle man.

5. sarmad elahi
    October 7, 2010 at 2:58 pm

check out the website http://www.wired.com and u would see an excluive news that first autistic presidential appointee speaks out in usa so could say that autistic persons cant do any thing or could excell in any thing looking forward to your reply.