Home > In Their Own Words > In Their Own Words – The Lake

In Their Own Words – The Lake

This “In Their Own Words” is by Taran Burns, a young man with Asperger Syndrome.

I have Asperger’s Syndrome. I’ve known since I was 16, now I’m 23. My daily life is filled with anxiety, agoraphobia, paranoia, and usually a deep depression that takes a lot of effort to snap out of. When I decide I need a break from the chaos of work and the cacophony of city sounds, being completely crowded and yet so alone, I escape to Wales.

This lake in Wales gives me an instant sense of relief. I am one with the world and completely at peace. The lake connects me to my childhood, nature and a feeling that I am alive. Here, in my own company, I do not feel alone.

This picture was taken by Taran Burns on Christmas Eve, at Mamgi’s lake, Cnwch Coch, Ceredigion, Wales.

“In Their Own Words” is a series within the Autism Speaks blog which shares the voices of people who have autism, as well as their loved ones. If you have a story you wish to share about your personal experience with autism, please send it to editors@autismspeaks.org. Autism Speaks reserves the right to edit contributions for space, style and content. Because of the volume of submissions, not all can be published on the site.

1. Bob
    September 5, 2010 at 10:47 am

Taran, Looks like a beautiful spot! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

2. Vanessa
    September 5, 2010 at 12:31 pm

My 2 year old son was recently diagnosed with autism and although we don’t know where he is in the spectrum yet, this gives me a better understanding of what he might be going through when he is stimming or having “tantrums”. My new quest is to find his “lake” too. Thanks for sharing Taran!

3. Michele
    September 5, 2010 at 11:40 pm

This is soooo sweet! My son has Autism and I often wonder what he would think of my friends house on the lake. I, myself, think that the lake is paradise! Thank-you Taran.

4. September 5, 2010 at 11:43 pm

Beautiful!

5. Bobby
    September 6, 2010 at 10:10 am

From the picture I can see how the lake can make you feel alive & in tune with nature, it looks like a beautiful place. There sure are too many noises in the city. Thanks for sharing.

6. lilyrose
    September 6, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Dear Taran,

Thank you for sharing your experience. My son is nearly 4 years old and has autism. He loves the water and various water activities very much. Please know that you are not alone. The picture of your lake that you’ve shared is very peaceful and serene.

Lily

7. December 9, 2011 at 10:14 am

What a beautiful spot. Great photo!