Home > In Their Own Words > In Their Own Words – My Dreams for You

In Their Own Words – My Dreams for You

This “In Their Own Words” is by Jennifer. Her daughter Sienna is 3 years-old and was diagnosed at 20 months. To read more check out her blog, Fingerprints of Autism.

The dreams that I had for you were many when you were growing inside me.

When I finally saw your precious face my dreams were coming true.

Slowly my dreams faded away as you started to spiral downward into a dark world.

When I realized you had autism my dreams were torn from me!

When we were fighting our way through the confusion of therapy and treatment my dreams were of healing.

When you started preschool my dreams were of acceptance, friendship, and fun.

Now when I think about my dreams for you they are the same as they were in the beginning!

My dreams for you never left me!

“In Their Own Words” is a series within the Autism Speaks blog which shares the voices of people who have autism, as well as their loved ones. If you have a story you wish to share about your personal experience with autism, please send it to editors@autismspeaks.org. Autism Speaks reserves the right to edit contributions for space, style and content. Because of the volume of submissions, not all can be published on the site.

1. Dana Beaty
    November 4, 2010 at 1:24 pm

I understand it and I love it, very beautiful. I’m very glad that she is coming along well.

2. November 4, 2010 at 1:53 pm

U expressed Ur thoughts & feelings SO-O-O well & simply that I couldn’t resist thanking U 4 Sharing them! U R a WONDERFUL mom!! Sienna is 1 lucky girl 2 hav U!!!

3. VERONICA
    November 4, 2010 at 2:29 pm

I have a 3 yr old currently in the process of being diagnosed, so I know exactly how you feel. Loved it!

4. Daynah
    November 6, 2010 at 9:47 am

Thank you, you put all my thoughts that I have held inside of me since realizing my 6 yr old son was autistic…..I am not afraid to dream anymore for him…..

5. Erin
    November 8, 2010 at 3:08 pm

My oldest son was diagnosed at 23 months. Thank you so much for this beautifully written entry. It describes the emotions I’ve gone through with my son since his diagnosis.

6. spaceandtime
    November 10, 2010 at 3:42 am

My dreams for you never left me, that one line summed up all the emotions what a parents goes through discovering that their child is autistic.

7. calesmom
    November 12, 2010 at 2:28 am

my thoughts are with you i have felt the same since cale was diagnosed almost two years ago wow i just relized itd been that long. my dreams for him are still so strong my prayers are neverending and the little things give me hope. my husband is so sure he’ll snap out of it,and my dreams for cale have to become real