Home > Awareness > Everyday Autism Miracles

Everyday Autism Miracles

This guest post is by Shannon Penrod, the host of Everyday Autism Miracles.

I host a radio show called Everyday Autism Miracles – every week we do a live one hour show about positive things happening in the world of Autism.  Tomorrow I want to do a show showcasing real stories of HOPE from familes all over the spectrum – stories about what they’re grateful for, what the miracles are that are happening in their homes.  Part of this amazing journey through autism is appreciating the things that may seem small to others but are huge to us.

So I would love for people to write in short comments to tell us what they are celebrating, was Beth able to say a two word sentence for the first time?  Did Billy make great eye contact today?  Did Philllip pass his driving test, when 32 doctors said he would never be able to speak, let alone drive?  Whatever it is in each home. There is no mirace too small!  And then I will read as many of them on the air as I can manage.

The show airs live tomorrow (Friday) at 2pm EST 1pm Central, Noon Mountain Time and 11am Pacific on Toginet Radio.  People can listen at www.toginet.com and they can call in to the live show at 877.864.4869 during the  show if they want to comment on the air. A podcast of the show is available for free starting on Saturday on the showpage  www.toginet.com/shows/everydayautismmiracles and on iTunes by simply searching Everyday Autism Miracles.

Thank you, I am so looking forward to hearing what people have to say and sharing it with the world.

Leave comments on the Official Blog and Facebook. They will be passed along to Shannon! Thanks!!

1. Joseph Harris
    December 16, 2010 at 4:33 pm

My 4 year old pre-verbal son escaped from bed in the middle of the night and finished decorating the Christmas tree. He woke us up at 4AM singing Jingle Bells. Video on my blog.

• December 18, 2010 at 3:14 am

That’s a great story and video. Our Aspy son is now 12. It DOES get easier! I remember our son on the stairs, me yelling, “You will put on your shoes”. Finally my husband and I realized that if our son COULD do it, he would. I suppose I’ll always worry we haven’t done enough teaching, stimulating, helping him grow, but I do think in the last 5 years the most important thing we’ve done is just given him space and allowed flexibility knowing, that just like you wouldn’t yell at a blind person, “see G-damn it”, my yelling at my son to put on his shoes was just out of his ability range. And at 12 he’s blossoming! Hang in there.

2. Sal
    December 16, 2010 at 4:54 pm

I have two ASD preschoolers, four-year old boy and two-year old girl. They had a holiday party at my son’s mixed public pre-k class. I guess they made little projects to take home. I arrive early and watch him play in the yard – off by himself, then desperately trying to engage others for a moment but unable, then off by himself and so on. I’m watching, and it really starts to sadden me, hitting home the seriousness and severity of his condition once again. After class, he runs out the door to greet me, excited to give me the Christmas card he made. I open it. It’s message is one word: “HOPE”

3. Lisa Bohn
    December 16, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Eli has started asking “wh” questions and it’s really improved our communication.

4. Peggy
    December 16, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Yesterday my 5 yr old ASD son, who gets very distracted and needs many prompts to complete daily tasks, said he wanted to get dressed all by himself. He went upstairs, picked out his clothes, and got dressed all by himself. He proudly ran downstairs to say “Look Mom, I did it!!”. Without a doubt, we looked past his mismatched outfit and missing socks and celebrated his accomplishment.

5. December 16, 2010 at 6:01 pm

My 2 sons (functional autism)learned how to ride their bikes – the story is here: http://autismsux.com/?p=89

Ricky demands to pray in church: http://autismsux.com/?p=294

They fight over who gets to say the prayer: http://autismsux.com/?p=360

6. Amber Boncek
    December 16, 2010 at 6:20 pm

My almost 4 year old son with autism who they told me may never speak said “Mommy I love you”. Nothing will ever beat hearing those words that I never thought I would.

7. December 16, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Help us to help some of the most vulnerable people in our society. Visit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o0-LE1YVzQ

8. Miriam
    December 16, 2010 at 6:49 pm

My 13 year old son has Asperger Syndrome. He is so smart but the world can be so hard. Recently, though, we’ve had several amazing moments. All of the 8th graders went on a big camping trip to climb a mountain. Alex’s dad went with him and he did very well. Early on he wanted to come home and complained he thought he was getting a blister on his foot. He got a band-aid and then realized he was way behind the other kids. I guess he felt he had to rectify that so despite this being a difficult climb Alex somehow managed to get ahead of everyone else. He was the first in his class to reach the summit!

A couple of weeks after this Alex seemed to still be inspired by his own ability to do things. He put his face under water at the local YMCA pool without a diving mask for the first time EVER. He had his head all the way under and was blowing bubbles! I was so happy I wanted to laugh and cry at the same time.

9. Donald Roswell
    December 16, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Hello, my name is Donald Roswell. I am a very proud father of a lil girl 3 years old whom we just found out that she has autism. Things have changed for me in a lot of ways. Hope has a whole new meaning to me and my family this year. She just discovered self discovery ” Me Sissy!”. I celebrate the lives of my daughter and my 9 month old son for teaching me new things and absolute patience every day. I have also been talk to the city hall in our town about organizing a walk for Autism Awarness, and I am already getting alot of supporters. I am going to wait til April to do the walk when it is warmer. Thank you for your time. I am also on facebook, we have been trying to find support groups; so far nothing yet.

10. December 16, 2010 at 7:29 pm

My 7 yr old started Taekwondo at age five and I watched him unable to stand still and focus. When he was learning board breaking techniques, he’d have to cover his ears due to sound sensitivities. I thought this may not be for him. But just last week, 2 1/2 years later he tested for his 2nd degree red belt. During his test he did a jump back spinning kick to break the board! And he doesn’t cover his ears.

11. Karen Wright
    December 16, 2010 at 8:24 pm

My 6 year old son with Asperger’s had a very difficult first six weeks in first grade this fall — he was attacking the teachers, other kids, having severe outbursts, had to meet with the principal numerous times, etc… but our “team” of teachers and other specialists met and implemented some new behavioral incentives… and in the month of October, he received the “Kindness” award in his class, and in November, he received the “Positive Attitude” award!! A huge accomplishment!

This past July, our son wanted to raise money to help people suffering from the earthquake in Haiti. He had seen a news item about a man riding his bike across the country raising money…and he said he wanted to give money. I asked him how he would do it. He told me, “I can ride my bike.” I asked how he would get the money, to which he replied he didn’t know. So I explained about pledges…. and figured that would be the end of it. But right away, he told me he was going to get pledges… so we went across the street and he asked our neighbor, “So how much do you wanna give me to help people in Haiti?” I explained how he wanted to ride his bike. The neighbor asked, “How far can you ride?” Grant said, “I can go three times around the park… that’s about 3 miles.” So he got his first pledge for $1/mile. THen right away, he asked if he could call the aunts and friends to ask them… I was amazed, as he usually does not talk to people, especially not over the phone. But he was on a mission.. and once he made the ask and they pledged, he would say, “Bye” and hand the phone to me. When all was said and done, he had asked over 20 people and received $300 in pledges!!!We gave the money to a local organization, Kids Against Hunger which packages food and sends it to Haiti. Grant will soon be helping to pack some of the food himself so he can see it first hand and what he has done to help others.

12. Day
    December 16, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Simon, our 5 year-old mild ASP/CP kid, went outside…it was a big feat as it was cold and windy and snowing – he didn’t run back inside, tantrum or scream but simply pulled his hood over his head tighter. When we got into the car he started singing Jingle Bells and asked me to sing with him! (tear!)

13. Lorrie
    December 16, 2010 at 10:26 pm

I am the mother of two beautiful autistic daughters. I have spent years choosing to see the cup half full and enjoy all the great things that happen daily. A smile, a giggle, a temper fit because she could not express her wants and needs. Everyday is an exciting new adventure of learning the puzzle of autism.

14. Barbara Melanson
    December 16, 2010 at 10:42 pm

This morning my 6 year old daughter(whos autistic and non-verbal) made my whole year when she turned around before getting on the bus to school,looked at me,waved and said “goodbye mommy”. I say by sweetie to her every morning and never get a response…today I did!

15. Kim
    December 16, 2010 at 11:19 pm

My 16 year old son with HFA spoke his first words when he was 4 1/2. They were “ju pee,” which translates to “juice, please.” His preschool teacher had them say “please” or anything that came close to it before she would give them anything they wanted. He is now in high school, in 10th grade. He participates in our HS marching band, which is one of the best marching band programs in our state, this past season he marched in the competition show–which is no easy feat for even a typically developing kid. His GPA is a 3.9 after his freshman year, and he is academically at grade level. He is planning on attending college, and has aspirations to either be a high school band director or a special ed teacher, because “I want to help kids who are like me.” He makes this mother extremely proud with how he’s overcome so many challenges in his life, and continues to overcome his challenges.

• Sylvia
      September 15, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Kim –
      Thx for sharing your story w/all of us. My name is Sylvia and I have a 6-year old grandson who was diagnosed w/autism @ age 3. His name is Thomas – and I love him ore than words can express. It it possible for us to communicate further . . . I am @ this point in Thomas’ diagnosis, reaching for and desperately holding onto ANY good and positive thing. Your story blessed me more than you could know. If this would not be an imposition to you, my web-address is: shunterwilson@aol.com If I do not receive a response, I understand. God bless -

16. Phillip
    December 17, 2010 at 11:49 am

My son is 18 and has Asperger Syndrome. Because he’s high functioning I didn’t think of this as anything spectacular but he recently started a part time job at a local bookstore. However, when I think back to when he was first diagnosed at 3 with limited speech, his progress has been amazing from where he started. We didn’t know what to expect and he has done so well. There will always be challenges but we definitely have something new to celebrate this year.

17. Calleen Kenney
    December 17, 2010 at 9:36 pm

My 12 year daughter with autism has very limited speach. She has a large vocabulary, but usually only uses single words or short phrases. She has never used her words to let us know if something is wrong or answered a question….until last Christmas.

After months of fits and meltdowns after telling her she couldn’t get the Snow White Polly Pocket set at the checkout counter (everytime we went to the store…you’d think I could find ONE without a toy) I started letting her know we could ask Santa for it and she actually seemed ok with this. One day in the toy aisle she found a large Snow White Barbie and brought it to me. I seriously feared the fit to come when I wouldn’t buy it. But she looked at me and said “Ask Santa?” I said “You sure can! We’ll go find him!” We went strait to the mall and I told her she had to ask Santa for the doll she wanted.

She waited pretty patiently, for her and when her turn came she run right up to Santa and yelled at him “Ask Santa” With some prompting I got her to sit down with him and helped her through her first conversation:

Mom: Maia, tell Santa what you want for Christmas
    Maia: Princess
    Mom: What princess do you want?
    Maia: Snow White…..And Grumpys now too.

I am crying now, by the way – this is the first time ever that she has answered a question. I am beaming – my smile from ear to ear. I am sure I looked crazy, but it was amazing!

The funny thing is, the next time at the store I found exactly what she really wanted! It was a large Snow White doll that came with all 7 dwarves!! “And Grumpys now too”. She totally asked Santa what she wanted for Christmas!

And you better bet she got it! Best money I ever spent!!

18. December 18, 2010 at 3:20 am

My 12 year old son with Asperger’s, who has been home schooled since 2nd grade (6th grade now) went to regular school for the last 6 days. It went great! He read aloud to the class (Jurassic Park) and got a standing ovation.