Home > Uncategorized > Sneak Preview of Robison’s New Book, “Be Different: Adventures of a Free-Range Aspergian”

Autism Speaks Science Board member John Elder Robison, author of Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger’s, has a new book, Be Different: Adventured of a Free-Range Aspergian, that will be released in March. In this video, created by Alex Plank, John reads the introduction of Be Different, set to photos from his life.

For more information about Wrong Planet visit their site here.

1. Lucy Muzio
    January 31, 2011 at 1:38 pm | #1

John, I read you book Look Me In The Eye to help me connect with my 10 year old Grandson Nicholas. It help me tremendously. I just finished listening to the preview of your newest book and can’t wait to read that also. You are a great inspiration to all people and I and so happy you choose to share your experiences with the world. You and Nicky have so much in common so it gives me great hope for his future success. As Temple Grandin says different not less. I always try to remember that when I interact with Nicky and I step into his world to try and feel what he feels. Thanks again and keep the books coming.

2. Maggie G.
    January 31, 2011 at 1:42 pm | #2

I am so happy that John has written this in such a genuine free range way!!!!!

I have a family of Autism Spectrum siblings..and I believe that
    my father was also an Aspie. Autistic, Schizoeffective, these are
    hard and fast diagnosis..yet, Aspergers..because of the high IQ
    and quick problem solving with unique, yet non theory…shoot from
    the hip proven tasks… Socially able to be the life
    of the party..the “go to” gal…times..though, quick burn out and
    “stuffed” feelings of non acceptance…. artistic and talented
    beyond belief. What comes hard for most comes quickly for me,..
    yet what seems to be easy for most… is so very difficult at for me,
    at times. Lots of times… a label, a look, a shun, … a statement
    like..”Do you know these book quotes so well because you have Aspergers?”,
    can hit me so hard…I can react, “Well, no…I actually read it, like was
    suggested…why don’t you try it?”.. Yep..an inappropriate response.
    Or..hmmm, shut down or “act”,..be an actor.. ask for answers, even though
    I have them..and then..something snaps..and I may judge them.. grrrrr..
    It can be so frustrating..yet so rewarding when I find a groove!!!!

Well, this is no professional book review.. it is me.. bits and pieces,
    and an Aspie or someone empathetic to Aspies.. needs to hear no more
    “explaining”… they get it! Thanks John and “Family”.

3. Karen
    January 31, 2011 at 2:02 pm | #3

I can’t wait to read it!!

4. Misty
    January 31, 2011 at 2:07 pm | #4

Wow, incredible! I can’t wait for this book to come out!

5. Lindsay
    January 31, 2011 at 2:27 pm | #5

I relate to this and I need to check this book out, I saw the first one of his while straitening books at the local library were I volunteer but because of college I never had enough time to read it. I’m glad facebook had this as a sponsored story

6. sherrie smith
    January 31, 2011 at 2:37 pm | #6

I Would like to say thank you for writeing the book i cant wait to read it my son is 15 and has asperger and i understand how it is when you say that alot of things are what kids cant do instad of what they can do

7. Heidi B.
    January 31, 2011 at 8:07 pm | #7

Wow! Thank You John, for showing us HOPE…for my boy and all of our children and their concerned families. THANK YOU!

8. February 1, 2011 at 12:43 pm | #8

Major follower of the website, a bundle of your posts have definitely helped me out. Looking towards upgrades!

9. margaret olivares
    February 2, 2011 at 1:21 am | #9

thank you so much!! You have given me great hope for my 13 year old son.

10. Jill
    February 3, 2011 at 6:40 am | #10

I cannot wait for this book. Will be picking up the other book asap. I have a 13 year old daughter with Asperger’s and while she is excelling in school since these past two years, she does still have so much trouble socially and with starting high school next year, I imagine will be having a new set of difficulties to overcome. I want to get these books and read them with her. I loved the intro so much it actually made me cry.

1. January 31, 2011 at 2:02 pm | #1