Home > Awareness > 4 Days Left Until Light It Up Blue

4 Days Left Until Light It Up Blue

The countdown is on to April 1st! World Autism Awareness Month is in reach and we are so excited to Light It Up Blue! Every day, leading up to the big day we’ll post highlights, a special interview and much more!

White House, Light It Up Blue!

Amy Gravino, self-advocate, writer, and Asperger’s Syndrome College Coach, wrote this letter to President Obama urging him to light The White House blue.Please leave your comments on the blog, time is running out!

Who’s Lighting It Up Blue?

Prudential Joyce Realty is spearheading a month long community initiative with the dual goals of increasing  autism awareness and raising money for Autism Speaks in Rockland County. Autism touches many Rockland County families, including several real estate agents at Prudential Joyce.  Nationally, 1 in 110 children are diagnosed with autism.The campaign began in Pearl River, where at least 25 local stores have very generously agreed to donate up to 5% of their net monthly proceeds to the Light It Blue Rockland campaign. We hope the interest continues to increase and that this Light It Blue Rockland campaign will grow exponentially.The Light It Up Blue Rockland website will list all the sponsors and any events planned during the month.  The town of Orangetown has agreed to put a blue chalk line down on Central Avenue for our April 1st kickoff.

For more information, like their Facebook Fan Page!

Visit www.lightitupblue.org to get pledge your support and get involved!

Community Spotlight

Today’s virtual interview is with Shawna H. from Bolingbrook Ill.

Autism Speaks: What are you Lighting Up Blue?
Shawna H.:
We are lighting up Schoenherr Avenue.

AS: Why are you lighting up Schoenherr Avenue?
SH: My son has a chromozonal deletion and was diagnosed with PDD-NOS and is on the autism spectrum. it is important that my neighbor and community understand about autism and show love and support for my son and our entire community.

AS: How did you go about lighting up your block?
SH: We have 26 houses that have 3 or 4 lights on their house. I went to Home Depot and bought 90 Blue lights. I will give the lights to my neighbors for free. I will also encourage them to make a donation to Autism Speaks! I am looking forward to seeing all the houses on the street LIT UP BLUE!

Are you lighting up blue too? Take this quick and easy survey to tell us how!

1. Esther Gomez
    March 28, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I join others who advocate for our children and other adults (like my husband) to at least see some light in the horizon, that people will see them not as inferior but just different… and actually gifted. Though my daughter is verbal and high-functioning, she still does not have the voice to advocate for herself and express her feelings. I don’t think anyone other than me and my husband who shares her same condition understand this aspect of autism. Pls. light up the White House Blue on April 2, Mr. & Mrs. President. Thank you!

2. March 28, 2011 at 4:30 pm

I left a comment at Amy Gravino’s blog…hope everyone does. Don’t forget to spread the word to your friends too.

3. March 28, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Two of my nephews age 13 and 9 have Autism, with the oldest also diagnosed with Aspbergers. Although both are high functioning the oldest still has trouble in social situations, what to say and what not to say. It was a proud moment that on Friday after a Pacers game he found himself in the elevator with Quinn Buckner and actually extended his hand and asked “Aren’t you Quinn Buckner?”. They then had a conversation about the stat sheet Ryon had found and Ryon actually told him “If I am lucky, some day I will be down there doing that myself.” He is very good with numbers. They both have a long way to go, but having people armed with the right knowledge is most important. Please Mr. & Mrs. Obama, light it up blue! Thank you. Aunt Kathy

4. Annie Robles
    March 28, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Mr. President you have been blessed with 2 beautiful, healthy daughters. As parents of children on the spectrum, we ask for your support. We are lighting it up blue… WILL YOU?? God bless you and God bless America!

5. Katie Jeras
    March 28, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I’m from Illinois and I have 3 disabled children. My daughter has C.P. & both of my boys have Autism!! My 8 year old daughter asked her teacher if she could talk to there principal about Lighting up there school BLUE!! The school is haveing all the kids come to school on April 1st in Blue t-shirts & they are lighting up the halls BLUE!! So, Mr.President are you going to light it up BLUE???

6. Ellenora Hurt
    March 28, 2011 at 5:37 pm

It would be wonderful for president Obama to light up the white house blue.

7. Kurt Livingston
    March 28, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Dear Mr. President I find it very sad that my own state capital in Michigan isn’t lighting it up blue. I will find it even more sad if you follow in the foot steps of my state government. I am not only a single father but the only parent of an autistic boy. Please light it up blue speak out for those who can not speak for themselves.

8. Cyndi Setzer
    March 28, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Please Mr. Persident! Or in the words of my 3 year old angel with autism…”Pweese Miser Pesident”! Light It Up! For my baby and all the other wonderful people in this world who touch the lives of those around them daily! For those who can’t talk help them and Speak for them! As the leader of this free nation and the most powerful man in the country take your stand! LIGHT IT UP BLUE!!!!

9. danae eck
    March 28, 2011 at 9:13 pm

it is great to see this for i have three boys all special needs with mental issues and middle is high functioning autism spectrium

10. Cyndi Setzer
    March 28, 2011 at 9:15 pm

11. Kelly Utegg
    March 28, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Mr. President,
    You have two beautiful girls..free of disease… can’t you understand what we go through each and everyday with our wonderful beautiful kids that have been struck with this “beast” Autism???? They did nothing wrong..they ate the same food, played the same games and dreamed the same dreams…but each day they struggle sir..a struggle you will never know. Now they are not asking for much, not money, or fame or anything big…they just want love and acceptance. To achieve this we need as adult to get the word out…the word that ..WE CARE….that YOU care sir. And how simple can it be?? Change a few light bulbs…that’s all..that’s how it starts at least. You light it up blue and people start to ask why? and from there we start to spread the word, and that is how to start to help the kids. So please sir….show the nation that we care too…or more importantly…that you as the president care…hey….it’s a start…..

• Edith
      March 29, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Your words are as beautiful as our children, hopefully not only the President, but everyone around the world would read and listen to our words and prayers.
      My love to you, your child, and all the children with the syndrome that need to be heard!!!

12. Annette Irwin
    March 29, 2011 at 3:09 am

Mr.Obama, This is such a small thing to do in your big world. To those of us who have children with Autism, it is a very big thing. Your wife feels it is important to raise awareness about childhood obesity. Though it is a very good cause, so is Autism awareness. Our children have no control of this problem. Please light it up blue to show us you care.

13. yasmin landon
    March 29, 2011 at 9:48 am

Dear Obama, My son is three years old he has Autism so please turn on the lighr blue. It is important to show awareness for Autism .

14. Edith
    March 29, 2011 at 3:31 pm

On April 1st and 2nd you can help spread the word by changing one or more of your existing outside lights with blue light bulbs and a sign or banner representing AUTISM AWARENESS DAY!!!
    El primero y segundo dia del mes de Abril se celebra EL DIA DE TOMAR CONCIENCIA ACERCA DEL AUTISMO, pueden ayudar a pasar la voz cambiando las luces e…xteriores de su casa por luces azules y una pancarta o letrero hecho por ustedes mismos representando la causa
    Gracias de antemano.