Home > Awareness > All Access Pass to Mandy’s World from film ‘Fly Away’

All Access Pass to Mandy’s World from film ‘Fly Away’

A powerful film directed by Emmy Award® winner Janet Grillo, FLY AWAY narrates the story of Jeanne and her autistic teenage daughter, Mandy. Jeanne has cared for Mandy since the day she was born, growing closer every day to a child who is charmingly offbeat one moment and nearly impossible to manage the next. In the dog park, Jeanne encounters Tom, an easygoing and accepting neighbor who sparks a romantic interest, but she finds juggling Mandy’s care and her own career leaves little room for a new man. As the pressures of work and her child’s needs increase, she must decide whether or not to enroll Mandy in a therapeutic residential facility. Over the course of a few weeks, Jeanne is confronted with the most difficult decision a parent can make: to let go, allowing her child to grow, but also grow apart; or to hold on tight and fall together.

“FLY AWAY is now available nationally on DVD for sale/rental/streaming, or on VOD.” For info contact http://www.flyawaymovie.com, 10% of proceeds benefit Autism Speaks.

In this clip, ‘Mandy’s World,’ actress Ashley Rickards describes how she found her way inside of the nervous system of a person with autism. And inhabited the role of MANDY, the teenage daughter who is severely impacted.

Here is the theatrical trailor

FLY AWAY’s narration of teenager with autism is relatable for many families. The Autism Speaks Transition Tool Kit was created to serve as a guide to assist families on the journey from adolescence to adulthood.  For more information, visit here.

1. JJ
    May 5, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Where can I get this movie. My grandson who will be 17 this month has Autism. My daughter does such a good job with him. I don’t know how she does it. I want to see this movie.
    Thanks.

• chris peters
      May 6, 2011 at 8:51 pm

this movie is available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Netflix.

2. chris peters
    May 5, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I was lucky enough to screen this film in NYC 2 weeks ago and I was simply blown away. this is the side of autism that is rarely ever portrayed yet is the side that the majority of us live with. this was my story, my relationship with my son. Janet Grillo did a remarkable job (as did Ashley Rickards!) and has given so many families a voice by making this film. Go see it and share it with others! you too, will be amazed!

3. Jody Seward
    May 5, 2011 at 3:36 pm

It made m cry just watching the trailers…I hope I am never faced with having to put my son in a place because I cant take care of him anymore or what ever the reason. I love him with my whole heart and soul. No one can know what you are going through until you live it yourself. It is Love,Love Love,education. You have to live in their world and just LOVE them <3

4. Robin Kessler- Chez
    May 9, 2011 at 9:02 pm

My Husband has ordered this for me from Amazon as my Mother’s Day request. I was a single Mom to my Daughter for the first eleven years of her life. Molli’s level of disability is fairly severe. She is currently a petite lovely 19 year old,slight speech,eats only a few foods…………. & for Me the Sun still rises & sets in the Sky in my Daughter’s eyes & I would not set her from me for a Kin’s Ransom. I have a feeling that, at least in part…..This will be OUR story. Robin

5. June 11, 2011 at 9:11 am

Thank you, everyone, for your responses. And thanks for watching FLY AWAY. It’s available on NetFlix, iTunes, AMAZON, and also as a Video on Demand on TIME WARNER. Appreciate your support and please tell others. Truly indie films like ours rely upon word of mouth support from people like you. We don’t have a big studio marketing machine behind us to get the word out! So…we get by with a little help from our friends! Thanks for your help.
    Janet Grillo