Home > Awareness, Science > NBC’s TODAY show on South Korea Autism Prevalence Story

NBC’s TODAY show on South Korea Autism Prevalence Story

On Tuesday May 10  the TODAY show on NBC aired a discussion of the first comprehensive study of autism prevalence using a total population sample, conducted by an international team of investigators from the U.S., South Korea, and Canada. This study estimated the prevalence of autism spectrum disorders (ASD) in South Korea to be 2.64%, or approximately 1 in 38 children, and concluded that autism prevalence estimates worldwide may increase when this approach is used to identify children with ASD.  Watch the clip below.

For more information on this study, read a press release from Autism Speaks here.  Read coverage of the study from The New York Times here.

1. PsyStudent
    May 10, 2011 at 7:43 am

I commend them for doing the research, but the prevavlance rates are WAY too high. Something wonky is going on here. It doesn’t seem that increased awareness of the autism spectrum could account for that many letitimate autism spectrum diagnioses. Perhaps there are cultural differences between the U.S. and South Korea that are being attributed to autism. Perhaps the ststistics are skewed. But it is certainly a red flag to see numbers that high. I sincerely hope that some children aren’t accidentally being misdiagnised with autism in South Korea.

2. PsyStudent
    May 10, 2011 at 7:43 am

Whoops. Sorry about the spelling error.

3. Cheryl
    May 10, 2011 at 8:32 am

Looks like this important story was forced off by other news…. Boo!

4. AnthonyC
    May 10, 2011 at 8:40 am

Want a hint? Check the vaccination programs in South Korea. You might be interested in what you find….

5. Debbie Pena
    May 10, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I really liked this presentation. She presented the facts but was also very possitve and encouraging. I really liked that she said children with autism go on to do great things and that the earlier parents get thier children help the better.Really encouraging as a parent of a 3 year old boy with autism.

6. Katie Wright
    May 11, 2011 at 11:00 am

Nancy Synderman has a son w/ aspergers. She is far more expert on the subject than I am.

Nancy is also adamant that all ASD is genetic. Her reporting on children like mine w/ severe autism is generally terrible. She dismisses most biological problems and all parents stories of regression post adverse vaccination response. Synderman has a poor understanding of the life children like mine endure.

I thought the story presented was of the most mildest case of aspergers. Get treatment, make solid progress everything is fine! We all wish it was that easy! This approach might have worked well for Nancy but most of our kids needs a lot more than early diagnoses and behavioral interventions and the research needs to reflect that.

The Korea study was not well done. Any child who was classified as quirky was labelled ASD. There seems to be a real effort here to make autism appear far more mild than it generally is. Most ASD kids have autism- not aspergers- and it is a very complex and biologically based disease w/ strong environmental triggers.

7. May 12, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I liked it. She was very positive and encouraging. I like helping them.Really encouraging as a parent of a 3 year old boy with autism.

8. Nicole Miller
    May 16, 2011 at 7:55 am

I only know the area I live in. In my opinion working in the schools and having a child with autism, I see at least one kid in every classroom if not two or three. I think 1 in 38 is still higher than what I see, which I believe is closer to 1 in 15.

9. Mary Kirk
    May 17, 2011 at 12:22 pm

As a parent of a borderline Asperger’s/Autism child, I know what the real deal is like.I’m also a special ed teacher. I have become increasingly alarmed at the “over-diagnosing of Autism Spectrum Disorders. I see children that are obviously NOT autistic, or even close to Autistic, being labeled as “Autistic”. I have heard numerous parents and educators say “if you get your child diagnosed as Autistic, you can get a lot more services!” Another example I might cite, is James, one of the finalists on American Idol this season. Here he is, singing and dancing and interacting with the audience and the judges, with no affectations whatsoever, but yet, when he was eliminated and giving his farewell speech, he got up there and said he was diagnosed with Autism and Tourette’s Syndrome. He no more had either one of these conditions than my shoe!

1. May 10, 2011 at 8:15 pm