Home > Topic of the Week > Healthy Living

Healthy Living

Welcome to this installment of ‘Topic of the Week.’ These topics stem from submissions from our community. If there is anything in particular that you would like to see featured, please contact us!

Fitness, nutrition, and general health and hygiene are critical components of a full and happy life. Do you have a health and wellness plan? What types of fitness do you or or child engage in? How do you implement health and wellness in the day-to-day?

For more information on Healthy Living, please visit here.

1. nidra
    May 23, 2011 at 12:23 pm

WHen we found out my son had autism we cut the sweets it has helped alot

2. Liz
    May 23, 2011 at 12:36 pm

My son does not like competitive sports, so we take every opportunity to swim, including checking into local motels with indoor pools in the winter. He likes certain non-competitive games on wii Fit – like cycling and jogging. We also have a trampoline in our yard, but he’ll only bounce when a friend is over. Sometimes when we’re in the house and he’s pacing, I’ll just throw inflatable balls at him to keep him moving and silly and engaged.

3. May 23, 2011 at 1:01 pm

We started the gfcf diet almost immediately after dx. After spending hrs and hrs reading labels of ingredients our family became very aware of everything we put in our bodies and the effects they have on us. We struggled the first yr. But it became second nature. We are all now very health conscious of ourselves and each other. It was a true blessing to us all. We have good habits, energy, and self discipline.

4. Courtney
    May 23, 2011 at 3:00 pm

We just got the diagnosis that my son has autism. He prefers to play alone so we put him in special needs gymnastics and parent tot swim lessons for the summer. He’s such a picky eater and as we just found out, we haven’t made changes to his diet. We’re usually just happy when he eats. We have tried to cut out the tv but his love of Thomas is making that more difficult.

5. Carol Graham
    May 23, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Need Help! my 10 year old will only eat Cup of Soup for breakfast, apple slices, popcorn for lunch and at dinner time, well that’s a brain freeze. He once liked chicken but now barely wants to eat any – he’ll eat chinese fried rice all day if he could. He’s never eaten meat – I have gotten him to eat a few pieces of broccoli – He just refuses to try anything new. Please let me know what I can do?

• Kevin
      May 26, 2011 at 11:28 am

You need to get some professional help. My son is 4 and up until recently, he was still on baby food and refused to eat anything except that and a few other preferred items like chips. We’ve had him in feeding therapy at the Marcus Center here in Atlanta for about 6-8 weeks now, and he is making incredible progress. He is off of baby food and is slowing moving towards solids with the goal of him feeding himself solid foods. I highly recommend getting professional help. As parents, most of us are just not equipped to deal with this stuff on our own, but there are professionals out there that can help you.

• RUBY
      May 26, 2011 at 11:31 am

I think his breakfast is ok ,I would consider telling him the popcorn is a treat ,for you .Put it in his eyesight but out of arms way .Ask him to try what ever you cooked ,you can make it fun for him by cheering him on ,as if you r playing a game ,be creative :)))

• Dianne Cousins
      May 26, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Carol, this brings back memories of my son Kyle, who is now 22 and doing very well. I think he was about 5 when he became very restrictive with his eating habits. He kept eliminating foods that he would eat until he was down to 3 things…Eggo waffles, toast and french fries. Hardly a nourishing diet to say the least! I said to the child psychologist we were working with, “ok Doc, it’s time to attack the eating problem”. I was dreading it, because I knew how difficult it would be. The first thing we tried was letting him go hungry till he would eat what I wanted him to eat. This didn’t last long at all, mostly because of me; I couldn’t stand to let my child go hungry. We approached this as a behavior modification problem….we knew that being the control freak that he was it was just a matter of breaking through that control. So the next approach was to put the same things on his plate as the rest of us sitting at the table (mom, dad, sister, brother) only in smaller portions, e.g., chicken, rice, peas. Of course he did not choose to eat this on his own so we basically had to force feed him….I know, sounds terrible and it was, but it worked. I had to hold him him in his chair while dad would put small bites in his mouth even assisting him to chew and shoveling back in if it came out. He’s crying, I’m crying, and my older two would go upstairs and turn on the tv so they didn’t have to listen to it. But, slowly but surely he became more compliant….maybe about 2 weeks of this; till pretty soon he was eating fairly normally. No he never liked veggies, but that’s not unusual, but I always put a little on his plate. At 18 we put him on a GFCF diet….wish we had when he was younger; that’s another story!

6. Sarah
    May 25, 2011 at 7:38 am

Most importantly, the kids now sleep on organic mattresses w/out flame retardants. All products from toothpaste to detergent are as organic/chemical free as possible. Kids’ lunch bags contain zero plastic (see here for our favorite lunch and storage products http://lifewithoutplastic.com/boutique/). And organic/pesticide free food is a given.

7. Andy
    May 26, 2011 at 11:27 am

I think nutrition is VERY important to both parents and their children. I also believe it is more important to avoid certain things in our diets. CANOLA Oil,hydrogentated vegetable oils, margarine of any kind, bleached white flour and the associated products as well as table sugar. There are very toxic chemicals associated with all these items such as ALLOXAN and HEXANE. Its also important to know that the brain NEEDS cholesterol.

8. Dianne Cousins
    May 26, 2011 at 12:07 pm

For these kids I think nutrition is extremely important. Their brains need feeding and caring for to make up for the damage that has been done to their systems. If you think about it it’s just logical. We didn’t really approach our son’s autism from this direction till he was 17 or 18 (he’s now 22), and I really regret that we did not start this when he was a child. Number one is a healthy well balanced diet….low sugar (the enemy of the brain), healthy fats, reduce toxins, etc…We also saw improvement when we implemented the GFCF diet but I truly believe we would have seen much greater improvement if we had started when he was younger and his brain was developing. He goes to a clinical nutritionist (a DAN doc) who got us started on this. He takes multiple vitamin/mineral supplements.

9. May 26, 2011 at 1:35 pm

My 12 year old son has Aspergers. This year he has suddenly opened up and is eating all kinds of new, healthy food. He now is broccoli, lettuce and tomato on sandwiches and tacos, fresh fruit with oatmeal or Cherrios for breakfast. It’s amazing! I am so excited. There is hope at the end of the rainbow!
    I wrote a blog post about his healthy food adventures:

10. evangelina soto
    May 26, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Strange to say but as much as i felt immense sadness and pain when he was diagnosed last May (dx in April with ADHD learning disabled) I felt relief and joy too. Joy because my 22 year old brother has always been *ADHD* dx/considered with just explosive temper behavior but looking at my son and the criteria that led him to be dx made me think back to my brother and sure enough my brother has the same signs of Autism as my son but worse. Unfortunately my family does not realize Not only does ADHD run in the family but Autism as well. my brother is wandering the streets somewhere in the Mainland (I’m in Hawaii) so I have yet to get the dx on paper so he can get help

11. evangelina soto
    May 26, 2011 at 1:43 pm

If you cant find or have gluten free foods organic is the next best thing. Our diet is about 60/65 percent gf/organic or natural

12. Kassie Bevan
    May 26, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Limited food choices can often pose health problems if it eliminates required nutrients. Our son was very limited when he was young on food choices but the few things he did eat (over and over again) was balanced. However, eating problems can be caused by sensory issues and may need long term strategies to work through them and even professional help. Smells, textures, even the inability to tell how much food is present in the mouth can effect eating habits. Our son ate at a separate table from the family because the barrage of smells,and visual impact of some foods were more than he could handle. We found offering one new food on a separate plate for him at a meal whether he ate it or not often eventually led to his trying it and added a new food source for him. Trying too many new offerings at one time could be overwhelming. I am happy to say that although he still can have difficulties with some food choices, at 19, he now can go to restaurants and sit with the family. (Also food network tv programs contributed to his interest of trying new foods and cooking. Even becoming one of his favorite pastimes) Now if we can only get him out doing more physical activities….

13. kenneth norrington
    May 28, 2011 at 9:33 am

What is my son’s pacing about? He has asperger’s. He is in high school now, but has done it since middle school. When he comes home from school he launch’s into a back and forth pace/trot across the family room. My guess is that it is his way of winding down from his long day at school. He doesn’t engage in it while at school. Am I correct in my assumption, or is it something else?

1. May 24, 2011 at 8:11 pm