Home > Awareness > Autism TV… Sort of.

Autism TV… Sort of.

I recently left my longtime career as a local TV news anchor in Baltimore.  I was there for 21 years and during that time my daughter was diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder (PDD-NOS).  So,  I thought…hey, wouldn’t it be a natural fit if I could take what I know about telling stories and create a   television show with kids who are all over the “spectrum.”  Programming  that shows children and families, from all walks of life, dealing with the challenges and uniqueness of autism.  And maybe we could give them some help or ideas along the way. And maybe we could educate a mass audience about what makes autism special and why we all should care about these individuals who are all around us.

Well, the big cable channels weren’t biting.  The production companies I contacted weren’t going for it either. I mean, in theory, they liked the idea, but in reality they just couldn’t see it being very appealing for the long haul. Of course, I find the subject incredibly appealing and compelling!

Eventually I thought why not do it myself?  With the help of a very talented videographer, a guy who knows his way around the web, and many supportive friends…we created Real Look Autism. My version of Autism TV.

Real Look Autism is a video resource for anyone touched by autism.  We tell focused and beautifully shot and edited stories about therapies and strategies that are working for children on the spectrum. We look for even the smallest measure of success. Our slogan goes like this: “You tell us something that’s working for you…and we’ll show everyone else”.  So, because we look for what is “working”, our short videos have an element of optimism. And how can you not LOVE these kids, their parents, and the teachers and therapists who are so committed.  We keep it real and we aim to spread some hope and understanding.

Real Look Autism.com, thanks for visiting and watching! We hope you LIKE US on Facebook, spread the word and sign up to find out when we premiere another new video.

And besides… we don’t even run commercials… at least not yet!

-Mary Beth Marsden, Founder of Real Look Autism

1. May 24, 2011 at 11:35 am

Mary Beth,
    Thank you for your post and your efforts. Ilook forward to watching REla Loook Autism.

There may be a mistake in how your post came through. The first hyperlink in your post took me to Autism.com which is website for ARI. Did you mean for that to occur? The second hyperlink, the one that follows your signature took me to your website.
    Sue

2. May 24, 2011 at 11:37 am

Ms. MBM, TY 4 doing this! U R a GEM!! If U need funding, pls go 2 Pepsi Refresh Project on th internet & FILL OUT AN APPLICATION!!! Pepsi givs $1,215,000.00/MONTH in grants 4 Refreshing Ideas JUST “Like” Urs!!!! GOOD LUCK in Ur new endeavor!!!!!

3. rosa
    May 24, 2011 at 1:23 pm

hello am the very proud mom of a young man with autism

4. Barb Guttmann
    May 24, 2011 at 2:38 pm

I have 3 grandsons and my oldest has Autism. If it wasn’t for my son and I he would have never been diagnosed. My mother and I noticed him going backward and new that something was wrong. He is now and has been in school sice first steps. doing pretty well. ANY VIDIOS OR TV SHOWS YOU KNOW ABOUT I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW ABOUT.
    THANKYOU SO MUCH,
    BARBARA GUTTMANN GAMMAW

5. May 24, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Mary Beth, I think you have a great idea. But, I do feel it’s just a matter of time before we see more representation of the spectrum on T.V.

6. Tim P
    May 24, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Mary Beth–Your stories are terrific and inspiring. Please keep up the great work and thanks for sharing.

7. Hermes
    May 25, 2011 at 3:26 pm

You should contact the founder of Autism Speaks –Suzanne and Bob Wright. Bob was once in the TV industry (Former Chairman and CEO, NBC Universal). You could pitch this to him as part of a “get out the word” ongoing campaign to bring autism awareness.. Perhaps he can get you some contacts or even give you a good word. You could try to contact the agency that reps him (speakers bureau).

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

8. May 25, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Hi Hermes,
    Thanks for the suggestion. Bob Wright could surely open some doors! I’ll work on that!
    -mb