Home > Topic of the Week > Everyone Deserves Summertime Fun!

Everyone Deserves Summertime Fun!

They say, when the sun’s out, the fun is out! But for those living with autism summer can be a challenging time. It often means breaking from routine – no school, new programs, vacations, camp, etc.

Tell us about your child’s successes in a summer community activity, such as summer camp? How did you learn about the activity? How did you plan for success? Suggestions for other parents?

Your responses will be included in July’s Community Connection’s Topic: Community Inclusion Sign up for Community Connections today

Relevant Community Connections

Traveling Tips for Individuals with Autism and Their Families

How to Choose A Summer Camp

Have Some Fun at Summer Camp

1. Robin Kessler- Chez
    June 28, 2011 at 10:24 am

My Daughter Molli, who is currently 19, has attended the JCC Camp Shalom program for special needs [Tikvah] for the past 7 Summers & is also there this Year. For now, the North Branch Camp is held in Duncan Middle School, pending the building of a New Community Center. Thank Goodness for Camp Shalom !!……none of the other existing Programs seemed just right for Molli. She is Autistic, very sensitive & delicate & only partially independent. They provide her special loving care, while striving for a true atmosphere of Inclusion. They inspire a sense of belonging to something exciting in all the kids. Almost every day has a fun theme for Dress-Up & activities, that even the Counselors Enjoy! The schedule is a smattering of Education & Movement, & very well conceived.field trips for swimming,surfing,pizza making,ceramic art,etc…………..; while back at Camp there is Israeli Culture,danced,music, Art,Science, computer,Tennis,etc…,Etc……….

2. June 28, 2011 at 11:10 am

swimming IS the answer – Pool PEE-arty – http://1in110.com/?p=3937

3. June 28, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Summer 2011 for this family has already started up on an awesome foot. Because of the amazing progress that our son has made since we first introduced a simple nutritional supplement last November, this is the first summer in his young nine years of life that he does not have to attend a summer school program! Our beautiful son, Colt is challenged with Autism and falls smack in the middle of the spectrum. Although he is very bright academically, Colt struggled with his social skills, change in routine, gross and fine motor skills. I can freely use the word struggled (past tense) because his response to a nutritional supplement that supports and rejuvenates the mitochondria has been, for this family, none less than phenomenal! This summer has been filled with spontaneous activities including setting up a lemonade stand with his little sister and selling to the tourists, going on extended fishing excursions with his dad and we are now planning a family
    camping adventure to explore more of our backyard of Alaska. From hiding in closets and having uncontrollable fits of rage to entering the world of his typical peers … I know that this family has been blessed. Summertime 2011 is already a success!
    God Bless!
    Stephanie

• June 29, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Stephanie….Could you please make mention of which Nutritional Supplement is bringing about such noticeable improvements for You & Colt?? The information would be much appreciated! So far, we haven’t had much success with the ones We have tried. Thank-you Stephanie………Robin

• June 30, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Robin, the supplement that we have our son taking is ageLOC Vitality from a company called Nu Skin / Pharmanex Enterprises. I have since become a distributor to get it at a wholesale price. If you would like I can send you more info. Because of Colt’s amazing progress, I am proud to say, another child is also benefiting.5 year old little girl who is high functioning on the spectrum, but non verbal. Her mom decided to give it a try and within the first week … parents heard their daughter singing!

• Jennifer Miller
      June 30, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Stephanie: What supplement are you using and where do you get them? I have a 2 1/2 year old little girl…we just found out less than a month ago that she is autistic. I’m still trying to figure it all out right now. I have read about the nutrition playing a HUGE role in some kid’s lives and am getting ready to make her an appointment to see a DAN! doctor….thanks for any information you can provide.

• July 1, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Hi Jennifer, Angela and Tami, the supplement that we have our son taking is ageLOC Vitality from a company called Nu Skin / Pharmanex Enterprises. I have since become a distributor to get it at a wholesale price. If you would like I can send you more info. My husband and I also started keeping a daily journal when we introduced the supplement to Colt’s diet to see is there really were any benefits. I would be more than happy to share this with you as well … Colt is on day 210 and I can the supplement is a support for his fragile system as a world has truly opened for him. Colt has been involved in early interbention therapies since the age of 16 months … but the progress that he has made since the supplement was introduced has zoomed us ahead.
        He is now participating in his own life … The journal is quite lengthy so if you are interested please send me your e-mail address .. or you can contact me at stephsstuff@hotmail.com God Bless!

• June 30, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Stephanie PLEASE let us know what supplement has helped your son’s mitochondria. My son’s lab work is revealing levels that indicate a mitochondrial dysfunction/metabolic disorder and I would be greatly appreciative if you could let me know what supplements have helped your son. Also, anyone else if you have any supplement recommendations and how it has helped your child/what problem they had. Thank you!!

• July 1, 2011 at 12:13 am

Please share what supplement has made such a difference.

• Jennifer Miller
      July 1, 2011 at 10:37 am

Stephanie: I am interested in this product. How can I reach you to inquire more and possibly order?

Thanks
      Jennifer

4. June 30, 2011 at 12:47 pm

A couple of years ago, I had no idea what my rights were for ESY. The summer we lost because of limited services really REALLY hurt our son. Never again. With the help of other parents, and a good lawyer (who specializes in education issues), we got what our son was entitled to by federal law. So now he has ESY, SCL, some respite, and an AMAZING one on one day camp with typically developing peers. Our summer is full. :)

5. Betsy
    June 30, 2011 at 4:04 pm

The local library has a lego club every week for the summer. My son was able maintain 2 hrs of building and no outbursts! Very proud of him.

6. July 2, 2011 at 1:27 pm

My son has enjoyed White Water Bay the most. If we don’t go to White Water we go out to the lake or a friends pond. He loves water of course. He is 7 years old and we love to just watch him swim. This year is the first year without a life jacket and he is doing great.

7. Hanna R.
    July 2, 2011 at 1:27 pm

It´s the opposite here, the summer is my daughters best time! She loves summer… it’s warm, fun, you can go to the beach, wear dresses and so on….
    We live in Sweden, and in wintertime it´s COLD here, so she is just like a new person now! Lovely! =)

8. July 2, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Unfortunately, we are rather isolated in our area and have a severe lack of funds, but what I am doing is encouraging my Aspie teen to socialize with her friends with outings, overnights and such.

9. Melissa Simpson
    July 3, 2011 at 9:14 am

Hi Everyone,

I’m looking for a day camp in the Clarence-Rockland Area (just outside of Ottawa) for my 4 year old boy who has PDD-NOS (Autism). He is toilet trained (which I know makes a difference for some camps). My son did so great in his first year of school this year and now I’m worried, that with the lack of structure the summer brings, that it will be hard for him to adjust and that he may lose some of his skills.

If anyone could point me in thew =right direction that would be great!

10. Melissa Simpson
    July 3, 2011 at 10:59 am

Hi again,

I looked up that supplement on the internet (as I am very interested in trying it) and it said it was an anti aging medicine. Is this right? It mentioned nothing of other uses?? Can anyone explain this who has tried it??

Thanks!

• July 3, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Hi Melissa,
      Yes, it is a nutritional supplement designed to support and rejuvenate our mitochondria. The mitochondria being the batteries to our dna cells or something like that. So when it comes to aging, this helps rejuvenate our vitality. It was when a study was published that connected autism with dysfunctional mitochondria that I looked into possible benefits for my son. Colt is 9 years old and has been on the supplement now for over 200 days and we have witnessed amazing progress. My husband and have been keeping a journal with very conservative observations. We have included statements also made by friends, teachers and community members … a window has opened for our son which allows him to fully participate in his own life … I would be more than happy to share Colt’s journey … you can e-mail me at stephsstuff@hotmail.com
      God Bless,
      Stephanie

11. July 3, 2011 at 5:45 pm

We have opportunities for summer time fun and learning, including peer volunteer mentors and so much more.Toronto, ON

12. February 13, 2012 at 1:59 pm

I think people notice if the secret on how to get younger isn’t by cream, pills or laser technology. The best result is by taking enough nutrition’s, physical exercise and always train the mind. Hope you will notice by yourself.

Summer Cheeerrrrsssss…..