Home > Awareness > Joey Travolta and Dani Bowman’s Inclusion Film Camp Adventure

Joey Travolta and Dani Bowman’s Inclusion Film Camp Adventure

Every summer, Joey Travolta directs two week short film camps at college campuses all over the country for children and teens with autism.  The program is designed to develop self-esteem, confidence, social skills and creativity through acting, improvisation, and digital film making within their peer group.  This year, Joey has added animation to the mix, with the classes taught by a 16 year old girl with autism named Dani Bowman, who founded her company, Powerlight Studios at age 14 and has been working as an animator professionally ever since.  To share her experiences in traveling and working with others with autism, Dani has created a video blog of the experience, four of which will be shared by Autism Speaks over the summer.  The first episode is the preview to the first camp in Jacksonville, FL.

1. July 11, 2011 at 2:00 pm

WOW this is wonderful. As a special education teacher, it is so rewarding to find others seeing how much autistic kids have to offer. It’s not their identity or their name, it is simply a piece of how they learn – uniquely; just like everyone else. Thank you for what you do.
    Jeanie

2. July 11, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Hey there! Yes I’m 16 and I’m autistic but that has never stoped me in any way, if anything it helps me to try harder. This blog is about me teaching animation at Joey T camp.

My goal is to change the world’s perception on how autistic individuals like me are perceived. We can be awesome if just given the chance!
    -Dani Bowman

3. July 11, 2011 at 8:18 pm

This is a relatively good camp. My sense is they could use some training on autism, inclusion of the full spectrum, sensory integration (they use loud music as a warm up in the first five minutes of class) Some orientation for the team on ABA based behavior methods would help also

• George
      August 7, 2011 at 5:52 pm

David, You are absolutely dead wrong! I am a Speech Language Pathologist and visited the camp in NJ last year. I was allowed to sit in on a class where they did improv and had a guest speaker. The direction which was provided was done in a warm, caring and professional environment. The interaction between the “campers”, staff and guests was excellent! You can take your ABA thoughts and check them in at the hat counter when you enter this camp. Your “sense” is poor and your recommendations are unreal for this camp. You should try to do it the way you said. Good luck!

4. George
    July 11, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Dani is great! She animated a children’s story I wrote regarding autism watch it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyoSEirIafA

5. July 12, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Very excited to have you at the MarbleJam Kids camp at Saint Peter’s College in Englewood Cliffs, NJ

Just a few short weeks away and Jersey will welcome you with lots of very enthusiastic young film makers in training.

Looking forward to meeting you!

Anna, Sarah, & Wendy (MJK film camp team)

and all of us at MarbleJam Kids!

6. July 13, 2011 at 12:49 am

Hey Anna, we’re looking forward to being there! It’s going to be a lot of fun! Dani can’t wait to get on the road again!

7. Lisa