Home > Autism Speaks U > 17 Wishes from an Adult with Autism

17 Wishes from an Adult with Autism

This guest post is by Autism Speaks staffer Kerry Magro. Kerry, an adult who has autism, is a recent graduate of Seton Hall University. He started the club Student Disability Awareness on campus to help spread awareness and raise funds for those affected by autism. Autism Speaks U is a program designed for college students who host awareness, advocacy and fundraising events, while supporting their local autism communities.

If I had to make a list, this is what I would wish for the Autism Community…

1. I wish that acceptance was easier to come by.

2. I wish that loving one another was always on our mind.

3. I wish that an “early diagnosis” remains a high priority.

4. I wish that people would stop calling autism a disease.

5. I wish that communication becomes easier for everyone with autism. We are trying.

6. I wish that we find more treatments to enhance the lives of people with autism.

7. I wish that insurance for autism gets passed in all 50 states.

8. I wish that the government would understand the need for services for the autistic in schools.

9. I wish that autistic individuals can one day live their lives independently.

10. I wish that I was capable of helping more.

11. I wish that people would stop using the words “socially awkward” and “retard” in a negative way.

12. I wish we raise awareness for all with disabilities. Those of us living with a disability are doing our very best.

14. I wish that all of our voices can be heard.

15. I wish everyone will follow the words of one of my favorite performers of all time, Michael Jackson who sang in his song called, “Man in the Mirror”, If you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and make a change.

16. I wish you all knew me when I was 4, when I was diagnosed with autism. For a long time I was lost. Scared of myself and what I was capable of. I never thought I would be where I am today… but I did it. I graduated from Seton Hall University this past May and will be going to Graduate School for Strategic Communications in the fall to boot. So for my final wish:

17. I wish for you all to always live life with hope. I wish that your days are filled with hope for a better tomorrow, and for today no matter how dark life gets sometimes that you realize you’re never alone. I wish this for you…

* I encourage everyone in the Autism Community to remember that we must come together as a true community to put our best foot forward. I know we all have a lot of wishes out there so let’s avoid distractions and focus on progress so we can all, “Make a Difference”. You can also find this article in the SFGate here.

This is one of my Autism Speaks U related blog posts. If you would like to contact me directly about questions/comments related to this post I can be reached at kerry.magro@autismspeaks.org or through my Fan Page here.

1. Craig
    July 18, 2011 at 12:13 pm

You’re an inspiration to all of us….keep up the good work, young man

2. Jennifer Love
    July 18, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Kerry, I have had the pleasure of meeting you and your mom a few times at our kick off events. I read your blog with tears in my eyes. Tears of hope becuase I can hear your words and think of my daughter. While she is much lower on the spectrum and has not yet spoken, I know that if she could, she would wish for the same things that you have wished for.

I have one last wish and that is …….. May all your dreams come true as you definately deserve it! I know your mom is very proud of you and you should be very proud of yourself. I look forward to seeing you soon!

Jennifer Love, NCNJ Chairperson

3. Emily King
    July 18, 2011 at 12:29 pm

awesome wishes! I hope that all come true. I am also an adult on the spectrum. It can be difficult with typical people because a lot of them are shallow. I help myself and others by educating the ignorant and judgmental. Look for who I am… am I friendly, kind, loving, caring, helpful, tolerant, understanding, and honest? If all are true the fault lies with you. The world ideally should be more like us loving one another truly and deeply, showing compassion and mercy when it is least deserved for everyone.

4. Sarah
    July 18, 2011 at 12:48 pm

As a mom of 2 little girls with classic autism, ages 2 and 4, I say congrats on your graduation and thank you for giving hope to us all!

5. Joselyn Lopez
    July 18, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Wow love ur story I have an 8 yrs old lil girl with autism u give melil more hope and full of life for my lil Neveah god bless u

6. Cheryl
    July 18, 2011 at 1:25 pm

“13. I wish for those who are or love someone who is on the spectrum that you know that we are moving forward every single day.”
    Trying to see this, some days are harder than others. Thank you for your voice and your insight, and best wishes to you in all your endeavors.

7. Barbara Pons
    July 18, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Thanks for sharing! I too read all of your posts. You are so positive. I wish my son liked to learn like you do. He hates learning and hates school. I hope all your dreams come true.

8. Barbara Pons
    July 18, 2011 at 1:38 pm

oh I just saw your picture. I finally have a face to put your name too. Your a very handsome young man. :)

9. Adam Vogel
    July 18, 2011 at 1:39 pm

I’ve got a question for you Kerry. When did you graduate from Seton Hall with a degree in marketing? I hope that you have landed a job because I’m still searching.

In my opinion, it’s tougher for people, like myself, who were either diagnosed with autism or have a disability land a job right now. I can only wonder what the unemployment rate is for people who have disabilities. In April of next year you should please ask Bob Wright to have NBC and CNBC to a report on the unemployment rate for people who have autism.

Oh well, I hope the job market will start to improve soon.

10. Ali
    July 18, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

11. Avery Ecklein
    July 18, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I have an form of autism named Asperger’s syndrome. I’m deaf too! I am 16. I am struggling with my life skills sometimes.

• Diane
      July 24, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Dear Avery, just wanted to let u know u are not alone. My son who is 20 has Aspergers. He has been struggling as well. It is an uphill battle. But I refuse to give up on him or let him give up on himself. I will pray for you and your family and hope to see more posts from u.

12. Adam Vogel
    July 18, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I forgot to meniton, Kerry that it would also be interesting to see if Bob Wright and the folks at Autism Speaks could also do some research in the number of people with autism, who graduted with an associate’s degree, bachelor’s degree, or in the case of Temple Grandin master’s or doctorate degrees.

I can only imagine the enormus increase in the number of people, such as you and me, who have graduated from college in the past 5-10 years.

13. Heather
    July 19, 2011 at 4:50 am

Thank you for your list. My son is autistic and I think he would agree with your list 100%. As a mother, I am fond of #17 – Hope. Hope keeps me going, keeps me believing that one day my son will be able to successfully be a productive member of society. It’s a long road, but your words motivate me to keep on keepin’ on!!

14. sheryl
    July 19, 2011 at 8:21 am

Eloquent , thoughtful & inspirational -brought tears to my eyes ! Continued success!!

15. Lisa Jochum
    July 20, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Hello Kerrie! what a great post! I wonder if you are ever available to email or talk with young folks who are just starting to think about entering college—–to help with problem solving and support. I know a very talented young man I would love to support!

16. Orfa
    July 20, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Well said, Kerry. Autism is not a disease. It’s a condition. Right on.

17. Lynne Thomson
    July 22, 2011 at 8:15 am

Dear Kerry, your 17 wishes was beautifully done and may God Bless you. I wish all these things for my son Ian who is now 10 years old and was diagnosed when he was almost 3. My nephew Kevin is now 22 years old and the world is much different for him then his cousin Ian who is 10. In our World Autism and the ASD spectrum are very much a part of our lives, and we are better people because of it.

18. Ann
    July 22, 2011 at 9:06 am

I am so inspired by this…my nephew has slowly progressed through his young little life with autism and all any of us have ever hoped is that someday he will be able to lead a normal life…thank you for your words, they are powerful, heartfelt and exactly the nudge we all need to keep moving on in whatever we can do everyday to help him get there!

19. Judy Stenglein
    July 22, 2011 at 10:48 am

Loved your 17 points congratulations to you I have a grandson 19 with autism but is doing pretty well He enjoys life and is happy hopefully he will be ble to get some kind of small job some day.

20. Lisa
    July 22, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Wow! Thank you for sharing your story and your wishes. It gives me hope for my 13 year old son and reminds me that he is capable of doing whatever he wants to do in life. Thank you!

21. Tina Chirnomas
    July 22, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Dear Kerry:

I think you are an incredible role model.

I pray that my grandson will grow up with your attributes.

He is 10 years old. Very smart, caring, loveable, sweet, a truly wonderful person.

He is very verbal and has grown into a great young man. What a difference the last seven years has made.

My grandson has three siblings and adoring fabulous parents. My husband and I are in awe of all of them.

This child is so friendly and loved by all.

I wish you a life of all that youy want. Of course including happiness and acceptance by all. You deserve it!

Again, thank you for sharing.

Tina

22. charlene
    July 22, 2011 at 1:49 pm

They are really great wishes, and by the grace of god, and determination they will come true!! With my 2 children who have autism, both on the opposite sides of the spectrum, I know everyday is different. You never know what tomorrow will bring. That Michael Jackson song “Man in the Mirror” is a true the words! i love that song, and if everyperson would actually do just that it really would be a better place.

23. karen
    July 22, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Wow! As a teacher of students K-2 with autism, your words inspire me to continue teaching my awesome, wonderful students! They will be successful if we believe they will! Thank you for sharing!

24. Christine Kirch
    July 22, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Thank you for sharing your wishes. My nine and a half year old son has classic autism and is still nonverbal so I appreciate your insight so I might better understand how he feels, Thank you.

25. Ailene Koffer
    July 23, 2011 at 12:44 am

Kerry,
    What a blessing it was to read your wish list. I know that people on the Spectrum are trying thier best, its a challenge for the families as well. My daughter is 12 yrs old and has Aspergers, everytime she is told” you cant” by people she shows them she can. She asked for me to start a Recreation/Education resource center where all would be accepted,i am trying but need help, if you know anyone who would likle to please have them contact me, the name of the center is Dreams(everyone has them), Drums(everyone dances to their own beat)& Rainbows(everyone is promise one). God Bless all of you and Kerry keep up the good work.
    Love and Peace,
    Ailene

26. Kathryn
    July 23, 2011 at 2:20 am

This website has been very educational for me. I have been a line therapist for almost three years now. I have been blessed to work with children with autism and they have changed my world completely. I am devoted to trying to help them make sense of the world as I am trying to do. Through this website I have read and learned about the struggles and achievements that have come from sharing information through this website. Each day I am blessed to be part of their world. I continue to try my hardest to help the children I work with cope with the struggles of the day as am I am trying to cope with the hradships of the day. Learning and reading about the wishes and struggles only benefit me as a line therapist. I hope someday I can help reach one of the kiddos I work with as they help me understand the miricales that happen everyday.

27. Marcia
    July 26, 2011 at 2:56 pm

But isin’t Autism a Disease or Disorder ?
    You want to be concidered as Disabled but Autism is not a Disease or Disorder ? I am confused about this.
    Maybe because I have never known or met anyone who is Autistic. I do not mean to be ignorant. I just don’t understand your view..
    I honestly hope you respond and help me to understand..
    Thanks

28. christine
    July 28, 2011 at 4:09 pm

EXCELLENT! CONGRATULATIONS! THANK-YOU!!!

29. July 28, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Your very smart and personable.My 5 yr. old grandson is autistic,and I hope his world while growing up meets all of your hopes and wishes.

30. lina
    July 31, 2011 at 8:56 pm

thanks for sharing you successes story.that any way we can met

1. August 21, 2011 at 7:34 pm