Home > Awareness > Autism Talk TV Ep. 14 – Be Different by John Elder Robison

Autism Talk TV Ep. 14 – Be Different by John Elder Robison

This post is by Alex Plank

In the latest installment of Autism Talk TV, Alex, Jack, and Kirsten talk about John Robison’s new book, Be Different: Adventures of a Free Range Aspergian. Be Different is must-read and I highly recomend ordering it on Amazon. John’s first book, an autobiography entitled Look Me in the Eye: My life with Asperger’s was an overnight success, landing itself on the New York Times bestseller list.

Unlike Look Me in the EyeBe Different is a how-to guide aimed at teachers, parents, professionals, and individuals on the spectrum. However, you won’t be disapointed if you are hoping to read more of John’s firsthand accounts that made up the entirety of Look Me in the Eye as John uses his famous stories to illustrate points in Be Different.

Teacher’s Guide for Look Me In the Eye

Look Me In the Eye Study Guide

1. July 19, 2011 at 12:12 pm | #1

Alex, Jack, Kristin,
    I really enjoyed this. You all are awesome. Please keep doing this stuff.
    Best Regards,
    Sue Lerner, PhD
    Parent, Psychologist and Autism Specialist
    Scottsdale, AZ

2. July 19, 2011 at 3:29 pm | #2

This is wonderful! Thanks for sharing this. I’m a mother of a aspergian and I want him to know that it’s okay to be different and accept what his talents without focusing on his difficulties. Thank you!

3. July 19, 2011 at 5:16 pm | #3

If you’re ever in the area of Chalfont, Bucks County, PA, please feel free to contact me so you can come by and visit our Holistic Center helping Wonderful Aspergians; I truly enjoyed your episode!

Sincerely,
    Donnamarie Davis, ED
    info@peacevalleyholisticcenter.org

4. Noreen
    July 19, 2011 at 6:15 pm | #4

Someone put this link up on AS and I really enjoyed it. I think the emotional part of Autism (and the fact that you pointed out that of course people on the spectrum have emotions :) was good. I am so HAPPY that he included SENSORY and you spoke of it. The majority of the kids could benefit from OT but even some of the GREATEST schools here are negligent in dealing with it. I have witnessed huge benefits from it (though they claim it’s not proven). I still feel we can not UNDERESTIMATE TOUCH. Touch is very important and can be grounding and relaxing. We have a long way to go with “touch” as it is calming to the nerves and also BONDING. I really like that you INCLUDED a girl Kristin, whom I enjoy hearing her speak and she seems very in tune. Thank you for not being Sexist ; o ) There are a lot of women who are dealing with their husbands on the Spectrum and she gives us a female insight into it so she is KEY. Keep up the good work!

5. Noreen
    July 19, 2011 at 6:18 pm | #5

P.S. “It’s good to Me.” If I wasn’t me, then who would I be? : )

6. July 19, 2011 at 7:05 pm | #6

Thanks for the feedback guys! We’re continually trying to improve the show so please don’t hesitate to offer your suggestions for show ideas.

-Alex

7. July 24, 2011 at 2:15 pm | #7

I have a quick question… I would like to read this book, but I would also like to have my aspergian 9 yr old read it as well. Do you feel that this is suitable for him to read or is it better suited for adults?

Thanks for your input!