Home > Awareness > KANSAS – Dust in the Wind

KANSAS – Dust in the Wind

This is a blog post by Phil Ehart of KANSAS.

As a parent of a child with Autism, I know first hand what an organization like Autism Speaks can mean in finding a cure for this terrible disorder.

Therefore, in planning for the creation of this book, the book publishers, the writer of the song Kerry Livgren, and the guys in the band KANSAS, all felt that Autism Speaks would make perfect sense in receiving a portion of the books sales proceeds.

We are honored that AS joins us in commemorating this very special song, in book form.

In 2012, the song, “Dust in the Wind” celebrates its 35th anniversary. The iconic masterpiece, penned by Kerry Livgren and first recorded by the band KANSAS, has become a fabric of our culture with a deep meaning to millions of people around the world.

As part of the 35th anniversary celebration, fans are being asked to share, on the book’s official Facebook page, any special memory or story that gives the song special meaning.

Selected excerpts, along with the name of their contributor, will be published in the “35th Anniversary Limited Edition Dust in the Wind “ book to be released in time for the 2011 holiday season. The book will contain a forward by Kerry Livgren, and a portion of the proceeds from sales of the book will go to benefit Autism Speaks.

Please share any story or sentiment about the song, “Dust in the Wind” as a comment on the wall of our Facebook page.

1. Caroline F Murphy
    August 3, 2011 at 11:23 am

This is my favorite song !

2. Karen
    August 3, 2011 at 11:38 am

I owned a purebred Shetland Sheepdog quite a few years ago and named him “Dusty”. For his registration papers, I needed to come up with a “fancier” name, so his “official” name was “Karste’s Dust In The Wind” , after one of my favorite songs!

3. Steve
    August 3, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I had a friend whose college dorm overlooked a cemetery. One Saturday, he looked out and saw a funeral about to start, so he put his stereo speakers in the window and started to play, ‘Dust in the Wind’. The next Saturday, another funeral, but someone with bigger, louder speakers played ‘Another One Bites the Dust’!

4. August 3, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I have requested in writing as well as let each of my children know that “Dust in the Wind” is to be played as my ashes are spread at sea.

5. August 4, 2011 at 11:03 am

Autism is not a “terrible disease”. I have Asperger’s and am a mother to two children on the spectrum and would never donate money to a cause that considered me and my children diseased. Autism is many things, but please don’t dehumanize us by using such negative language.

• AzMomma
      August 4, 2011 at 6:29 pm

As a parent of a child w/ severe Autism, I say let’s not argue over semantics! My son’s condition IS terrible & we live w/ it every day. I don’t care exactly which adjectives are used…let’s just get awareness, funding & someday a cure!

• AzMomma
      August 4, 2011 at 6:38 pm

p.s. it looks to me like it says “terrible disorder”, not disease.

• AngelCry
        August 5, 2011 at 3:59 pm

I agree with AzMomma… As a wife and mother to Autism I don’t care what you call it, as long as you help us spread awareness, help people that can’t afford therapies, and help us find a cure!

• August 9, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I’m with you. When we were trying to get a diagnosis for my daughter the doctors debated whether to use PDD-nos or autism. Tomato tomahto. let’s cure the whole spectrum

6. Renata Irving
    August 5, 2011 at 3:46 pm

I went to a small liberal arts college in the late 70’s. One of my favorite people there
    used to play “Dust in the Wind” in the guys dorm. We sipped amaretto liquor and listened
    to his stories about his Boston neighborhood in his great Boston accent, and he’d sing to the song.
    20 years later, we saw each other at a reunion, he remembered my nickname, the
    scores of the soccer games, and told new stories.
    He died suddenly in his mid forties. When I hear the song, I get out my yearbooks, an old Christmas card from 1978, and picture him in his dorm, telling stories, and singing the song.
    I have a son who has Autism, and he knows, when the song is playing on the radio, Mom
    stops talking, sometimes sheds a tear, and blows a kiss in the air for Todd.

7. August 9, 2011 at 3:43 pm

This was my favorite song in 7th grade, and my very first full length album. Great song, great lyrics. Thanks to everyone for honoring the 35th anniversary in such a special way.

8. August 9, 2011 at 3:45 pm

This song was sang live by a local band at my uncles funeral. Every time I hear this song now it brings back wonderful memories of my favorite uncle! Thanks Kansas for creating such a great song to remember lost loved ones by!

9. August 9, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I was 22 years old in 1977 when “Dust in the Wind” was popular. I remember driving in my 1965 VW bug (orange, of course), singing along with the AM radio. Probably wearing bell bottoms and platform shoes. Every time that song comes on the radio, I’m immediately transported back to that magical time again. Now so many years later, as a mom of a child with autism, it will have so much more meaning to me when I hear it. Can’t wait for the book. Thanks for donating to this wonderful cause!

10. PATTY HILL
    August 9, 2011 at 3:54 pm

MY DAUGHTER IS 20 AND AUTISTIC AND SINGS THIS SONG WITH THE RADIO

11. August 9, 2011 at 4:36 pm

My Uncle Bobby was only 23 when he took his own life. He had a very rough life yet made everyone around him laugh even though he was in so much pain. The song Dust in the Wind always reminded my mother and I of him. When I lost my mom 3 years ago when she was only 60 we played this at her funeral, and one day when I was riding by the hospital where she died thii song came on and the winds picked up. Everytime I here this song I get the chills and smile thinking of my Unlce and my mom. I also have a 10 year old son who is Autistic and he was the apple of my mothers eye. They were very close and know that this song and Kanas are supporting this cause it is even a millionms times more special to me now Thank you so much….

12. Kelley Wagner
    August 9, 2011 at 4:57 pm

I have always thought that “Dust In The Wind” was a beautiful song. My 21 year old son, Zach, gave me all the more reason to love this song when he performed it for his school’s very first talent show in March 2008. Zach has Asperger’s Syndrome. He has a great deal of trouble with social behavior, but he loves to sing and perform in front of people. He has a beautiful singing voice, and did a wonderful job singing along as the music played. Needless to say, there was not a dry eye in the room amongst the school staff, my older son, or myself by the time the song was over. We were all very proud of his performance. It is something I will never forget!

13. kelly
    August 9, 2011 at 5:14 pm

i traveled a long way to see kansas in jacksonville and met them backstage all the guys were great! thanks billy greer for the passes! i love this song! my son is autistic and he loves this song too! thanks for making his world a little more happy each time he hears “dust in the wind” ;)

14. Shelley
    August 9, 2011 at 6:00 pm

This song means so much to me. My brother who was eleven years older than myself passed away 6 years ago. He had Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia. He fought a very hard battle with his cancer. He never once complained how he felt or what he needed to do to try to beat the thing that was taking his life. We traveled alot away from home for his treatments. He never spoke about what he wanted if someday he would not win his fight, other than he wanted this song played at his funeral. This song has such great meaning. Everytime I hear this song it brings him back for just a little while. I am very passonate about Autism, as I am an aide to one very special little boy that means the world to me. I am very glad that AS is joining Kansas for a very good cause.

15. Rose
    August 9, 2011 at 7:41 pm

#2 in my top 10 list.

16. Cynthia Acevedo
    August 9, 2011 at 9:08 pm

This is the first song that my husband Freddy and I danced to when we were dating 20 years ago. We just celebrated our 17th wedding anniversary, and have three beautiful kids, including Gabe, a 16 year old with Autism. He knows this is “our song”, and he asks me for details about our dates every time he hears it. Thanks for helping us make great memories, and to share them with our kids. Thanks for donating to the cause as well…

17. Aimee Schuster
    August 10, 2011 at 7:41 am

I was 7 years old when this song came out. I would listen to it in the backseat of his powder blue Ford driving around the old neighborhood. A simple happy time. My father died 2 years later in 1979. I have a son with autism who shares so many of my Fathers interests. The song like my son reminds me of my father who is no longer here.

18. Tmac
    August 10, 2011 at 11:51 am

This is one of my 13 yr old daughters favorite songs! She will sing it all the time. It makes her happy and smile which she doesn’t do much of.

19. Adam Bonilla
    August 10, 2011 at 5:52 pm

I was reading from the Book of Psalms a few weeks ago, when I came across a passage from Chapter 103: Verse 14-16. It say’s, “He knows what we are made of; He remembers that we are dust. As for us, our life is like grass. We grow and flourish like a wild flower, then the wind blows on it, and it is gone, no one sees it again”. My heart immediatly embraced this song, for it was Kerry’s testimony! I have played the song on my acoustic, during my family’s Christmas celebration. My daughter, Maria, who is 9 years old, is presently learning to play it on her violin. Yes, this song has touched my life and will continue to provide impiration and Hope. Thank you, God Bless and Carry on!

1. September 7, 2011 at 12:53 pm