Home > In Their Own Words > In Their Own Words – Today

In Their Own Words – Today

This ‘In Their Own Words’ is by Cheairs Graves, who shares her life at Redefining Typical. It through writing and pictures that she shares her journey about Dawson, her son with autism. It is the marriage of the two that makes sharing her journey complete. You can find her on Facebook here.

She tries to play with him.

He walks away.

She tries to talk to him.

He does not answer.

She tries to calm him when he gets upset.

He pushes her away.

Then he looks at her.

He smiles.

He reaches for her hand.

She takes it.

She smiles.

And they walk.

And as I watch them.

I remember words.

Words that came from my father as he would send us off to school.

With a twinkle in his eye and a nod of his head my dad would say, ”Cheairs remember-Today is the first day of the rest of your life.”

So hand in hand my son and daughter walk off to school.

And with a twinkle in my eye and a nod of my head I whisper, ”Mae Mae and Dawson remember-Today is the first day of the rest of your life!”

I breathe.

Today-Yes- Today!

Copyright © cheairs graves August 25, 2011

“In Their Own Words” is a series within the Autism Speaks blog which shares the voices of people who have autism, as well as their loved ones. If you have a story you wish to share about your personal experience with autism, please send it to editors@autismspeaks.org. Autism Speaks reserves the right to edit contributions for space, style and content. Because of the volume of submissions, not all can be published on the site.

1. September 2, 2011 at 11:11 am

Yes! Today it is… and what a gift Today will always be.

Thanks for sharing, Cheairs! The perfect picture, too. Perfect.
    xo

2. September 4, 2011 at 3:47 pm

This is awesome. sometimes We don’t have to utter words but there are a million ways we can use to communicate or pass a message. All the best.

3. September 6, 2011 at 1:35 am

Action speaks louder than words. How nice watching those two kids holding their hands while walking. Without any words to say but just on how you show to them how grateful you are and bless.Thanks for the share!!

4. akommini
    September 8, 2011 at 10:30 am

this is so great this blog.

5. September 8, 2011 at 10:31 am

I love this!Thank you for sharing. Having an autistic child teaches me that Life should be lived “out of the box: sometimes and oh, what a rich and beautiful life that would be!

6. Sherrie Hale
    September 8, 2011 at 10:32 am

Just lovely! I love the name of your blog “Redefining Typical” – just perfect. There are as many definitions of typical as there are people in the world. We are all different and that is no bad thing. My son is very verbal (although he was extremely speech-delayed) but I remember being able to decipher what he meant when no one else could. He has been the light of our life since the moment of his conception! I wish all people could look past the different and appreciate the goodness and value in every child!

7. mary
    September 8, 2011 at 10:48 am

thank you for sharing this with us.
    I two have sons with autism. I can relate to this very well.
    may your children be blessed and may god help you and give you strenght.
    these are truly remarkable people in the making.

8. September 8, 2011 at 11:02 am

How beautiful – thanks for sharing.

9. Margaret
    September 8, 2011 at 11:02 pm

So beautiful… perfectly describes my grandchildren… they so truly love each other.

10. September 9, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Thank you for sharing. Such a beautiful memory.. The quote you speak of are the words I gently told my daughter the day she was diagnosed with Asperger’s Disorder.

11. Sue
    September 17, 2011 at 8:33 pm

I love the quote and your kids are so cute walking hand-in-hand.

1. December 5, 2011 at 12:03 pm