Home > Science > New Insight into Autism and Intestinal Problems

New Insight into Autism and Intestinal Problems

As parents have long reported, many children with autism experience severe gastrointestinal (GI) problems, and the associated discomfort can worsen behavior. Now research supported by Autism Speaks is lending new insight into how the GI activity of children with autism may differ from that of other children in key ways. Read more in the science news section at autismspeaks.org.

1. Katie Wright
    September 19, 2011 at 9:12 pm

This is wonderful research. This research was supported by CAN almost 6 yrs ago. Let’s hope we can move faster in the future and that AS will fund more here and now GI treatment intervention work.

GI problems, when untreated, cause systemic immune deficiency issues, often characterized by chronic infections and low T cell count.
    Recent research has revealed striking parallels between this ASD subgroup and pediatric HIV. Which is ironic because I used to wish my son had HIV! It is more manageable and less debilitating than the type of autism he has.
    Not only do GI problems worsen behavior, but GI problems cause brain damage. 80% of the immune system is in the gut, which is directly connected to the brain. As my son’s GI condition worsened he regressed more severely, until he barely recognized me and could no longer speak a word.

David Amaral and MIND Institute recently produced some ground breaking research defining this ASD phenotype. There are distinct biomarkers of this subgroup- specifically immune markers- directly related to GI disease.

After trying a dozen of interventions ivig and TSO have dramatically helped my child. But parents like me are tired of figuring this out on our own. We need the research to catch up to our children’s needs.

2. Nicole Thompson
    September 19, 2011 at 10:08 pm

This was absolutely the case with my son, Grant (a/k/a Snoopy). Since implementing a gf/cf diet and supplements, he’s recovered from Autism! http://www.examiner.com/special-needs-kids-in-wilmington/nicole-thompson

3. Sarah
    September 20, 2011 at 8:35 am

Time to really push to move the university probiotic scientists to not only study the human population, but the ASD population. Their furry murine friends, while interesting are not nearly as interesting as our children.

4. maria Corral
    September 20, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Thank God for John Hopkin’s PED GI dept. After being on G/CF diet and supplements nothing helped my daughter’s GI problems until she got a colonscopy we got the dx of colitis and acid reflux. Now my daughter is a new girl still has autism but she is a happy girl.

5. Katie Wright
    September 20, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Wow Maria I hope you share that information w/ everyone at Hopkins! What great news!
    Hopkins has not been publicly supportive of this research.
    In fact they invited a journalist to speak for Autism Awareness month about how there is no ASD GI disease connection and that diets are a scam.

It is so sad when leadership is lacking at these huge institutions. They could be doing so much good.

So happy that your daughter is better!!!

6. September 20, 2011 at 8:06 pm

GI symptoms have been a big part of my son’s ASD symptomology – he was in so much pain at one point as a preschooler that he self limited his diet to absolutely nothing… horrible to see. It took the GFCFSF (and free of other things too) diet, SCD diet, help from terrific nutritionists, biomed doctors, homeopathy and homotoxicology, a GI who recognizes and treat GI problems in ASD children to help him, plus lots of feeding therapy to reestablish a trusting relationship with food and other therapies as well. When people tell me GI issues in children with ASD are not real, I wish I could take them back to those days to show them how “fake” my son’s GI issues were. He had friable tissue in his colon (and other issues as well) the first time he was scoped. You cannot fake that. He still has issues at times but is so much better, and such a happier person. We desperately more solid research done in this area. Too many children have suffered for too long.