Home > Co-founders > Autism Speaks Co-Founder, Suzanne Wright to Host LIVE Facebook Chat

Autism Speaks Co-Founder, Suzanne Wright to Host LIVE Facebook Chat

Join us on September 21, 2011 at 1pm EDT for a LIVE Chat with Autism Speaks’ Co-Founder, Suzanne Wright! You can read a special letter written by Autism Speaks Co-founders Suzanne and Bob Wright, grandparents of a child with autism, here

Suzanne and Bob Wright are co-founders of Autism Speaks, the world’s largest autism science and advocacy organization. Inspired by the challenges facing their grandson, who suffers from autism, they launched the foundation in February 2005.

Suzanne has an extensive history of active involvement in community and philanthropic endeavors, mostly directed toward helping children. She is a Trustee Emeritus of Sarah Lawrence College, her alma mater. Suzanne has received numerous awards, the Women of Distinction Award from Palm Beach Atlantic University, the CHILD Magazine Children’s Champions Award, Luella Bennack Volunteer Award, Spirit of Achievement award by the Albert Einstein College of Medicine’s National Women’s Division and The Women of Vision Award from the Weizmann Institute of Science.

In 2008, Suzanne and Bob were named in Time 100’s Heroes and Pioneers category, for their commitment to global autism advocacy. They have also received the first ever Double Helix Award for Corporate Leadership from Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, the NYU Child Advocacy Award, the Castle Connolly National Health Leadership Award and the American Ireland Fund Humanitarian Award. In the past couple of years the Wrights have received honorary doctorate degrees from St. John’s University, St. Joseph’s University and UMass Medical School – they delivered respective commencement addresses at the first two of these schools. The Wrights are the first married couple to be bestowed such an honor in St. John’s history.

The Wrights have three children and five grandchildren.

Click here to read A Grandparent’s Guide to Autism.

1. Ileana Morales
    September 20, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Thank you, Suzanne and Bob; wonderfull people like you make a difference!.as the mother of an 18 year old with Autism, I tried to do everything I can. – My son,as a teenager, was going thru a very rough time.( autistic kids lack social skills) he had no friends,and he was frustrated; so I formed a small club with all his high functioning friends, and we go out every friday, to “hang out”, to the movies,bowling; We do parties so they can dance and have fun. It has been wonderfull !!!

2. Melissa
    September 20, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Mrs. Wright, I admire you for Everything you and your Family are doing. There will be a “Jewel in your Crown” in Heaven that’s for Certain, I just wished I had someone too help me; because I have tried everything I know to do to get “Help” for My Son. Every door has been “Shut” in my face and I am disabled with an income of 713.00 a mnt and my Son’s father(Divorced) want help at all. He has been turned down for SSA,SSI,and Medicaid. We are appealing but it has now been since Feb.2011 and “No Monies” or services offered for my Son.
    Sincerely,
    Melissa Pippin
    (770)-504-0248

• September 21, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I am a disabled mother also, so I know what it is like for a limited fixed income. My daughter went through a ton of tests and was approved within 2 months for SSI. She is high functioning and had numerous tests. I think it really made a difference of how her diagnosis’ were stated on her medical paperwork and how the tests that she went through. Sometimes Social Security cant see whats right in front of them. If you have any questions or want some advice contact me and I’ll be glad to help. I fight everyday for both of my daughters and making sure they get the help they need.
      ~Toni
      tonirhutchins@yahoo.com

3. Sarah
    September 21, 2011 at 6:16 am

Dear Mrs Wright (and Mr.),

Simply, thank you from the bottom heart.

Sarah

4. Marlene Cruz
    September 21, 2011 at 10:16 am

Thank you, Suzanne and Bob; for all you are doing to help and inform the families dealing with Autism. My granddaughter is 2 years old and just recently got diagnosed with mild Autism, we are so scared for her future, i want her to be the beat she can be and enjoy being a baby. how can i help her to communicate with us what her needs are. i have taken her to specialist and now she going to start speach therapy, what else can i do for her…. Thank You again
    Sincerely
    Marlene Cruz
    786-267-4305

5. September 21, 2011 at 1:11 pm

thank you for your foothold on this all things that matter to the people and to the world with things like autisim they need to be heard and thanks

6. Adam Vogel
    September 21, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I should do a Live chat on Facebook , considering the fact that I now have a Facebook page. To Bob and Suzanee Wright I would like to know what level of functioning autism is your grandson showing. To be specific, is your grandson classified as having high-functioning autism, like myself, Asperger syndrome, and severe level of autism. I hope your grandson will be able to enjoy some of the things that I have had.

7. September 22, 2011 at 6:35 pm

So will Autistic people be a allowed to comment, or will we get blocked for mentioning the fact that we feel Autism Speaks is acting against our best interests?