SiriusXM to Broadcast “Doctor Radio Reports: The Future of Autism
World-Class Experts and Parents Explore the Transition of Children on the Autism Spectrum into Adulthood
September 30, 10:00 am – 12:00 pm ET/Doctor Radio, SiriusXM channel 81
This week on SiriusXM’s Doctor Radio Reports, host/veteran journalist Perri Peltz and a panel of world-class doctors, experts and parents of affected children examine the leading concern of parents with children on the autism spectrum—what happens as the children get older and the parents aren’t there to assist them? Will they be able to get a job, support themselves and find the support they need? In addition, what happens when parents are no longer there to provide care?
Geraldine Dawson, PhD, Chief Science Officer, Autism Speaks, Research Professor in the Department of Psychiatry at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill,Peter Bell, Executive Vice President of Programs and Services, Autism Speaks, Lisa Goring, Vice President of Family Services, Autism Speaks, Melissa Nishawala, MD, Medical Director of the Autism Spectrum Disorders Clinical & Research Program at the NYU Child Study Center and Jerry Hulick, Senior Planner with The Washington Group/Mass Mutual’s Special Care Planning Team join Peltz for this two-hour special, offering advice/tips on transitioning teens with autism to adulthood, including:
– how to find appropriate housing situations for your autistic child
– how to find support for their medical, psychological and social needs
– estate planning tips to cover the cost of long-term care
– establishing trust funds, applying for disability, and assigning guardianship for care and financial security after you’re gone
– the newest developments in diagnosing and treating autism spectrum disorders
– the latest in new medications and medication research to treat core autism symptoms as well as associated issues
Listeners are encouraged to call 1-877-NYU-DOCS (I-877-698-3627) or email firstname.lastname@example.org with their questions.
Doctor Radio Reports: The Future of Autism will replay October 1 at 6:00 pm and October 2 at 8:00 pm ET.