Home > Awareness > Steve Jobs: 1955 – 2011

Steve Jobs: 1955 – 2011

With the sad passing of Steve Jobs yesterday, Autism Speaks wanted to take a moment to recognize the enormous contributions he and Apple made to the autism community. Jobs brought touch screen computing to the masses, and as a result of the iPad and the many other tablet and touch screen devices that followed, he helped many affected by autism achieve a degree of independence that would simply have been impossible without that technology. He was a one of a kind entrepreneur, inventor and innovator, and we felt it was appropriate that we take a moment to recognize his extraordinary life, and to thank him for the contributions to the autism community. RIP Steve, and thanks.

If you would like to share your thoughts, memories, and condolences, you can email rememberingsteve@apple.com

Here are two blog posts from the autism community that celebrate Steve Jobs:

Diary of a Mom remembers Steve Jobs through the eyes of an autism mom, in this post.

Squidalicious thanks Steve Jobs on behalf of her son Leo and the rest of her family here. Leo was featured in Apple’s iPad: Year One.

1. October 6, 2011 at 10:46 am

Heartwarming links, good to know and a true source of inspiration.

2. October 6, 2011 at 12:13 pm

My nine year old son with autism loved Steve Jobs. This morning he created a tribute to one of his own personal heroes. He typed the first sentence all by himself but then asked me to type out what he said, word for word. Here is his tribute: https://www.facebook.com/notes/the-autism-life/the-steve-jobs-tribute/10150307967965896

3. Adam Vogel
    October 6, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Sad to hear him go. He ranks up there with the Rockefeller’s, Ford’s, Walton’s, Carnegie’s, Gate’s, Buffet’s, Disney’s, and others on the great list of business minds.

4. Adam Vogel
    October 6, 2011 at 12:50 pm

I forgot to mention none other than Bob Wright on my list of this country’s all-time great business figures. What he did as CEO NBC from 1986-2006 was amazing. As it states on Wikipedia NBC grew from $2.6 billion in 1986 to $16.2 billion in 2006. That’s more than almost a 625% increase in revenue over 20 years. No wonder NBC has been struggling since he stepped down. I hope I can be that successful in the business world, considering I have an accounting degree.

5. October 6, 2011 at 1:50 pm

A major loss for us. However, the one of the greatest ‘find’ we ever had in our lifetime. I’m glad to have lived in last 2 decades of Mr. Jobs’ lifetime. His footsteps cannot be replaced nor tarnished. He was a remarkable and a legendary person who will be deeply missed. I thank him for sharing his gift with the world. REST IN PEACE MR.STEVE JOBS!!!

6. Katie Wright
    October 6, 2011 at 1:59 pm

What a loss! Jobs was the Thomas Edison of our generation. Jobs’ contribution to the lives of ASD kids alone is staggering. One of the greatest innovators of all time.

THINK DIFFERENT

7. October 6, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Mr. Job’s dream is truly my dream also as you can tell from my blog above, where I am working on grad school research on uses for the I-Pad with high functioning asperger’s children, such as my son.

I hope I can find more current research sources to back up my graduate work capstone project I have reference in my above blog.

He was as remarkable with the Apple II series of computers, as he was with all the products he helped to bring to market and help continue to evolve all he invented or help to invent.

My life is forever changed by his work…R.I.P. Steve Jobs I will miss seeing you in the news and on the internet.

8. October 11, 2011 at 12:35 am