Home > Awareness > ING New York City Marathon Featured Runner, Rebecca Babb

ING New York City Marathon Featured Runner, Rebecca Babb

Rebecca, Becca, Janie, BSB, Goose. These are just some of the many names I go by in my day to day life. But by far, my most prized name would have to be “Mommy”. I’m a single mom of the worlds two most amazing little boys ever, Kadin aged seven and Cowan who is five. I feel everything I really need to remember about life, I learn from them. Two years ago this November, I heard the words that would forever change my life and I’m positive? in turn will change the world. The words “Yes, your son is autistic, has epilepsy and ADHD.” I left that appointment having no clue what I would do next. Now two years later, I will run the ING NY City Marathon while raising awareness about autism and raising funds for Autism Speaks. Follow me on my quest to change the world, 26.2 miles at a time.

Who would have thought 2 years ago while sitting in my car crying because I now had no idea what to do now that my son had been diagnosed with autism, that I would be a FEATURED RUNNER in the ING New York City Marathon running for Autism Speaks!?!?!!?

The ING New York City Marathon will be my 4th full marathon that I will run in and my 3rd race for Autism Speaks in Kadin’s honor. This past January I completed the Goofy Challenge at Disney while holding Kadin’s hand! And now I look forward to taking over the Big Apple for autism awareness!

I made a promise that day to  Kadin that the world would change because of him. As a mom, I can not break that promise! So far I think him and I are off to a darn good start! Don’t know what autism is? Feel free to ask, I just hope you have lots of time to listen!

ING New York City Marathon 2011….It’s Time to Listen, It’s time to RUN!!!

You can vote for Rebecca here!

1. Krista
    October 10, 2011 at 7:06 pm

I find you such an inspiration, Mrs. Babb! I am a high school student not a mother but you’re still such an inspiration! I think that making a promise to your son like that, being able to not let anything stand in your way and to get over the barriers to get ther is just phenominal! Kadin is too cute and I hope you guys are prosperous in your next run! Good luck!

2. October 11, 2011 at 8:08 am

Rebecca is an inspiration. I think I know how she feels.

I am an Asperger’s mum of a son who was diagnosed as profoundly autistic when he was a child. At the time the following thoughts popped into my head, as the medical people looked so solemn:

They told me you were Different – Autistic
    I told them I was optimistic
    How could they know
    I love you so
    Because you are – DIFFERENT!

My son is now 57 now. I will be 85 in November. In retrospect I realised that my dad, who was considered very eccentric (and died aged 93) had all the symptoms of autism, though not so severe as my son. I was told by doctors that my son was a ‘write-off’. He could not speak until he was 9 or 10. We have to smile now as he became hooked on computers some years ago and graduated from University in computer science. Some write-off!

3. October 11, 2011 at 8:22 am

Rebecca, I remember that exact feeling when told 45 years ago that our son was autistic. There were not support groups or marathons then, but I am SO proud of you for what you are doing. If you would like, you can read about Ben on my blog, autism45.wordpress.com. I think it might be helpful in many ways. It contains my journals, testimony, letters to teachers, doctors and schools, and much more. One article is “Symptoms of autism as a child–then, as an adult.” You will find that encouraging, I know. I’m thankful there is so much more help for your child today. God bless you in all your endeavors! Carole Norman Scott

4. Danielle
    October 11, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Goose,
    You are such an inspiration to me and I am thankful that you and Kadin continue to teach me about autism.
    You’re going to rock the marathon and every one after that!! :)
    Viper

5. October 11, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Rebecca i think its great what your doing! My daughter(Mariona turned 4 in July) was diagnosed the beginning of this year with autism. She’s a very happy girl but i still cry sometimes(like right now after watchin your video) and i dont even know why I cry. Thanks for running for autistic kids!!!!

6. Ellenora Hurt
    October 11, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Go Rebecca!

7. Joyce Pooser
    October 11, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Such an inspiration, you are. We have a little 5 year old autistic great grandson. Such a joy in our lives. Just wondering what God will do in and through his live. Love to you and Kadin.

8. Carl barnes
    October 11, 2011 at 5:30 pm

As the grandparents of Kadin and Cowan we could not be more proud of them and the accomplishments you have made to bring Autism to the front line to let people know what it is all about. Your grandma always said your Mom was the greatest Mom. Your Mom says you are the greatest Mom ever. Your brothers think you are the best sister anyone could have. Your Mom and I couldn’t be prouder, just don’t run out of “GAS” on your quest to help with Autism. Love you, Mom & Dad

9. October 11, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Thank you SO much everyone for your kind words. I’m so thankful everyday for the gift of my kids and the lessons they teach me. I’m keeping that promise to Kadin and hope that even just by raising awareness to a few, that many more lives are changed for the better and better understood. Keep an eye out for my blue cape race day! Nov 6, It’s Time to Listen, Time to Run! :)

10. October 11, 2011 at 10:22 pm

You’re an awesome mom and my nephews are lucky to have you.. Go kick some butt in NYC…

11. melanie s
    October 12, 2011 at 3:27 am

Rebecca Babb you are a great inspiration! I too am a single mother and had a son with Autism, my angel has since passed 3 years ago to be with our Lord Jesus. I stand behind you 100%. What you are doing is truly wonderful. Although, I don’t run marathons ,I do walk the Autism Walk every year here in San Antonio Tx in memory of my son and in honor of all that face Autism. I also volunteer when I can, with help and support of Autism. Thank you for what you are doing for Autism and God bless you on your quest.
    With hugs and love to you and your kids :)

• October 12, 2011 at 9:38 am

Melanie, thank you for your sweet words and support. I would be honored to wear your angel’s name on my cape of “Au’some Heroes” that I’m wearing in the marathon. I’m so sorry for your loss, but thank you so much for your dedication and continued support! :)

12. Eric Groetzner
    October 12, 2011 at 9:35 am

Rebecca, or Janie as I know her is an amazing person. She has always been a really good friend and has really inspired me with all that she has accomplished in such a short period of time. Having to autistic cousins I know the struggle a parent goes through to raise the child properly and protect them. You know I will always have your back girl!!! Now Lets Kicks some Butt in NY ;-) Love always, DONKEY ;-)