Home > Topic of the Week > Residential Services and Supports for Adults on the Autism Spectrum

Residential Services and Supports for Adults on the Autism Spectrum

As Autism Speaks gathers information on residential services and supports for adults on the autism spectrum, we would like to hear from our families on your experiences with housing.  Please share your stories on our blog.

1. Melissa
    October 17, 2011 at 5:07 pm

We’ve had both good and bad experiences. The first experience was a nightmare with a facility in Columbus, OH (what was I thinking sending him away so far to begin with) – I shall not mention the name of the facility. My son has now been with the same provider for 5 years and is well-adjusted, well cared-for, and well-loved by his caregiver. He is flourishing and has transitioned well into the adult world..

• vick
      October 17, 2011 at 8:21 pm

We have had the same experiences, good and bad. But my daughter is a difficult young adult. ANd I fear for her. I wish I did not have to work so I can keep her home and work at a farm or animal shelter, she loves animals. The residental places need to prepare them for the outside world and they are not not doing a great job at it. She is there through DOE and they pay them $120, 000. And for that kind of money it should be top notch and it is not. They have too many chiefs and not enough indians. If I could win the lottery I would help the mental ill.

2. Maya
    October 17, 2011 at 5:09 pm

So many of the support models for people with disabilities don’t fit for my adult son with autism. Independent living with an occasional support person? A job with a coach – if you are lucky? These are not attractive options for my son who doesn’t transition well, can’t remember people’s names or faces until he’s spent months with them, and experiences high anxiety. He is now living and working on a residential farm in NY State. I am very happy with this model where his work is meaningful and his community stays consistent. I only wish there was an option like this here in CA where we live.

3. October 17, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Although they do not specify any disability, Brookdale Manor in Whitewater WI aip 53190 is a 55 and older independant living apartment building which is government subsidised. This means any one with a disability of any age who meets the financial limit criteria qualifies for an apartment when available! I manage the 55+ building next door but we are not subsidised.. If you would like to contact me please send an e-mail to blackhawk_manor@yahoo.com

4. Emily
    October 17, 2011 at 6:42 pm

I had always been concerned about my brother growing up. He is a person with autism vebalizes only to get needs met. He has many behaviors and many rituals. I did not want him to end up in one of those assylums like they had on tv where everything is white and sterile. I swore he would never end up in one of those places. He is currently 40 and I am 37. He is living and has been living in a group home since he was 25. My family talked because we had come to a point that someone was going to break and it was either gonna be my brother or my mom. We decided to start looking for a home. We went to a few places and under no circumstance was he going to live in the first place we looked at.
    We went for a visit and the administrator so seriously showed us around. It was well kept and clean but very uninviting. My brother said in his questioning way “water please?” the man looked at my brother and said. Well you can not have a drink until everyone gets here from the workshop. Mind you it was 2:45 and they did not get home from workshop until 3:30. Mom said where can he get a drink and the man said again he would have to wait So we all looked at each other calmly picked up our belongings and my brother and said goodbye and no thanks and raced out the door.
    Now we looked at a couple other places very skeptical now because of our initial house visit. We stumbled upon a very nice home about 2 hour drive from our house. We meet the admin we visited we talked, we observed, we visited again. We decided to have my brother do an over night and see what he said when he got home. We knew we would get a full report if any anything bad happened because my brother doesn’t talk much but he echos what others say esp we knew if someone raised their voice he would repeat it because those are the things he repeats. He seemed fine after the overnite. So we had another one. And he seemed fine after that. Later after being on the waiting list, they had room for him and he moved in. And he has been in the same place ever since.
    Now I’m not gonna say there have been no problems because we all know there are always problems but I will say that when he moved it was the best move our family ever made. He still likes it there. And mom and dad are both still alive!!!! So everyone is happy and healthy.
    This home he is in is awesome. And some of the problems we have had are staffing problems. The turnover was high for a while and when you get new staff you get different interpretations of the rules. And that leads to not so fun behaviors. But over all. We have had a good experience with this place. They even went on a vacation last year that beat my vacation into the ground. And the whole house went including staff and alllllll had fun.
    So for those of you looking for a placement for you person with ASD stick with it. Ask tons of questions and be persistent. No the first five years took alot of work and meetings but now all is well and happy. Just stick to your guns and trust your gut. Our gut told us to go with this place and it has been the best decision ever!!! Good for all involved. My brother does things now we never thought he would do because my mom and dad and I were strong enough to cut the leash and let him go try to explore. It has worked out for him. They go on many outings at least one a week and always have something at least one activity on the calendar for them to do everyday.
    So if you are willing to look and take the time to investigate there are good places out there, they are just hiding! Don’t give up.

• Calvin howell
      October 18, 2011 at 10:47 am

Emily, It was so refreshing seeing your post under Residential Services and Supports for Adults on the Autism Spectrum. Our oldest son is 22 years old and has been diagnosed with the Asperger syndrome. Upon viewing the other posts and feedback supplied by our son’s counselors and psychiatrist, there are minimal options in the northern Virginia area. If you could supply my wife and I with some initial guidance or steps to pursue in locating a suitable facility for possible care for our son, I would greatly appreciate any feedback you could provide. Thank you, Calvin.

5. Joy
    October 17, 2011 at 8:06 pm

I am at the point where my 22-year old son needs to be living somewhere else but have not yet found any place in my area (Eugene-Springfield, Oregon). Plus, his girlfriend’s mother told him going to a group home would be like going to jail, so he is completely opposed to that model now.

• October 18, 2011 at 9:49 am

Going to a group home would not be a good idea, there is other high functioning adults and poor staff.

6. October 18, 2011 at 9:47 am

I was working with a young autistic man at his parents home from teen age to adult. Here in Texas the State has programs that the parent can hire their own aide and the State pays the aides wages. This was a great set up for we all know how they get over stimulated and thrive on the one on one care. As his care giver we worked very well together. I no longer work with him due to me relocating to Livingston Texas. When ever the Dad goes threw my town with him he calls me and we meet to visit. I have been looking for another family who is in need of a great care giver in this area but not to many people are aware of the State programs. The State programs here are threw the disability and ageing service, and HCS. If you would like more information you may contact me at deb991b@aim.com

7. gayleygem
    October 20, 2011 at 11:24 am

First of all Thanks for this link!! For those of you who are dealing with HF ASD children interested in college or trade school check out College Living Experience. eperiencecle.com.
    It can get costly but is worth a look. They’re located around the country so you can be close to your loved one and monitor how things are going.

1. November 30, 2011 at 10:47 pm