Home > Awareness, Science > Tune-In: 60 Minutes Story on Tablet Computers and Apps for Autism

Tune-In: 60 Minutes Story on Tablet Computers and Apps for Autism

Tune in to CBS “60 Minutes” this Sunday, October 23, at 7:00 p.m., ET, for a report on the growing use of tablet computers as teaching and communication tools for children with autism. The segment profiles two non-verbal students who have made significant strides communicating with touch-screen tablets, and features an interview with a University of Pittsburgh neuroscientist who is researching why more than 30 percent of individuals on the spectrum cannot speak. Over the past six months, Autism Speaks Chief Science Officer Geri Dawson and Vice President of Scientific Affairs Andy Shih both provided “60 Minutes” with extensive background information for this story.

Watch an excerpt from the story below:

Categories: Awareness, Science
  1. Desiree
    October 21, 2011 at 3:40 pm

My 6 year old learns concepts so much faster using and iPad than through traditional methods.

2. October 21, 2011 at 4:02 pm

So many parents of children with Autism have told me that the free resources on my website have helped their kids. We founded a non profit that helps children’s character development and want to make them more available to those that need it. Here’s the link to the free illustrated behavior charts: http://www.gomommygo.com/thankdontspank.html

3. October 21, 2011 at 5:25 pm

I am a single parent of autistic loving non verbal teen son who I have been searching for a free after school program and mentoring program for months for him. I will be starting school soon and hopefully working again. I live in Spalding county Griffin, Ga he is 13 years old 5’11” and makes all A’s in his academics. Please let me know if you know of any one who offers these two programs.

4. Ivette Sala
    October 29, 2011 at 6:15 pm

My grandaughter 4.5 yrs.old listens perfectly (ent studies done), understands, follows instructions, great with social skills, receptive language perfect but cannot be understood when talking, difficulty in expressive language. To make it more difficult her 1st language is Spanish and 10 months ago she moved to Shreveport, LA. Amazingly she is understanding English but we cannot understand her when she speaks. Any help, i-pad, any similar cases? Should neurological studies be done? I am Ivette Sala (e-mail: ivettesala@yahoo.com). Thank you.

5. Joanie
    October 31, 2011 at 10:10 am

I can’t get the video to play. I have a Mac, should that make a difference? I really want to watch this.

6. January 11, 2012 at 3:57 am

Thank for sharing, you have amazing blog.