Autism Speaks welcomes the 2011 Dennis Weatherstone Fellows
On Monday, October 24th, Autism Speaks hosted its Third Annual Dennis Weatherstone Fellowship Luncheon at the Princeton Club of New York. The 2011 & 2010 Fellows were joined by representatives of the Niarchos Foundation, and Lady Marion Weatherstone who welcomed the incoming class and congratulated their predecessors on their contributions in autism research.
The Dennis Weatherstone Memorial Predoctoral Fellowship Program was established with a generous gift from the Stavros Niarchos Foundation. The Program seeks to encourage the most promising young talent in science to make autism research their chosen career. Autism Speaks is pleased to present the third class of Weatherstone Fellows.
Sir Dennis Weatherstone’s distinguished career in the financial industry was highlighted by his service as Chairman of JP Morgan from 1980-90. He later added the role of Chief Executive Officer, which he held until his retirement in 1994. Sir Dennis was the first Chairman of the Stavros Niarchos Foundation. Upon his passing in June 2008 the Foundation established the Weatherstone Predoctoral Fellowship Program at Autism Speaks to honor his commitment to discovering the causes and improve the lives of those affected by autism.
- Cara Damiano, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- Jillian Filliter, Dalhousie University
- Sean Johnston, University of Wisconsin, Madison
- Rui Luo, University of California, Los Angeles
- Frances Martinez-Pedraza, University of Massachusetts, Boston
- Kristopher Nazor, The Scripps Research Institute
- Nir Oksenberg, University of California, San Francisco
- Allison Waiter, Michigan State University