Home > In Their Own Words > Be Aware – For Parents

Be Aware – For Parents

This post is by Tim, a freelance writer and designer who works for Myself, a business that has been thumbing its nose at The Man for six years now. He’s both a stay-at-home (sounds better than ‘kept man’) and a work-at-home-and-anywhere-else-I-can-get-away-with-it dad. You can read the original post here.

[This is Part III of today's three-part series, along with Be Aware - For Family and Friends and Be Aware - For Everyone, for World Autism Awareness Day.]

Be aware that you are not alone. Be aware that there are entire communities of us – locally, online, everywhere – joining together for solidarity, support, and advocacy.

Be aware that we’ve got each other’s backs.

Be aware that not only is grief a normal part of this, it is required. Give yourself permission to go through it.

Be aware that your child is the same precious soul as the newborn baby you once held.

Be aware that some days you’ll feel like you can’t do it, but you will.

Be aware that we’re now free from being average, and are instead free to kick butt.

Be aware that autism allows amazing gifts to be expressed that otherwise would not be.

Be aware that your child will achieve something after trying so hard for so long, and you’ll feel like you all won the World Series. Be aware that this will happen regularly, and often when you least expect it.

Be aware that some days you will float on air and feel like anything is possible.

Be aware that often it is also a desperate marathon. It can feel like 26.2 miles over and over again, and you’re wearing six layers of drenched corduroy, while carrying a dump truck on your back.

Be aware that you only have to go one step at a time.

Be aware that being angry or afraid or frustrated or burned out or desperate is completely normal. If you feel completely crazy, be aware that someone else is too; it’s only when you either feel sane or feel nothing that you might want to worry.

Be aware of words like hope, advocacy, determination, community, faith, love, and perseverance, and don’t forget them.

Be aware that one thing unites us and transcends everything we disagree on – the children we love.

Be aware that there are people preying on our fears and becoming rich off of that. Be aware that there’s a special place for them, and it’s not a particularly nice one.

Be aware that autism is never the same from day to day or person to person.

Be aware that our children grow into adults and that we must fight for the rights of all.

Be aware that autism will lead you to some of the kindest, most skilled, and compassionate people in the world.

Be aware that by accepting the challenges you will experience an even greater joy when they are overcome.

Be aware that life can feel like a constant fight against somebody or something; be aware for whom you are fighting and draw strength from that.

Be aware that everyone we meet is fighting a great battle in their lives, regardless of who they or their children are. Be gracious, and model that for your kids.

Be aware that the sun does come up every morning.

Be aware that you are stronger than you think you are.

Be aware that love is always the best therapy.

Be aware that you should never say never.

And be aware that I wouldn’t trade my life for anything.

1. November 24, 2011 at 10:26 am

Thank you Tim.

I am an Asperger’s mum of a son who was diagnosed as profoundly autistic when he was a child. At the time the following thoughts popped into my head, as the medical people looked so solemn:

They told me you were Different – Autistic
    I told them I was optimistic
    How could they know
    I love you so
    Because you are – DIFFERENT!

2. November 24, 2011 at 11:44 am

I appreciate you putting into words, what we parents of very special children/teens or even adults with autism go through and experience.

“Be aware that some days all you can do is just roll up your sleeves, hike up your big boy or girl pants, and dive in.” – so very true. They are our children, it is our job, they are our love, they are our child. It is up to us to dive in and help them when needed.

“Be aware that love is always the best therapy”. – So very true. I know that without love and care from myself and my daughter’s two friends and her counselor, she would not be with us today. Life is very rough for Aspies, especially teen girls.

“Be aware that you should never say never.” – I never thought in my wildest dreams that I would be battling the schools, doctor’s and counselors to get the help my daughter needs. I have discovered through this that I am a stronger person than I ever thought I was. And that when the unexpected happens, I do just “roll up my sleeves,” help my daughter and “get ‘er done!

3. November 24, 2011 at 4:11 pm

My youngest son was diagnosed three years ago with Autism/ADHD and a friend introduced me to a natural product made primarily from milk.
    I used this product and saw results in two months. Today my son shows no signs of Autism/Adhd, he is doing great in school and takes the initiative to do everything, truly a turnaround from the way he used to be. After the production of this milk it is the closest to mother’s milk because of the science and medical studies done, and it is recognized by many Doctors today, if anyone is interested in finding out more about this, please email me at asha.persaud@gmail.com. Thank you. There is hope for your kid(s).

4. jamie
    November 24, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Wow so so true

5. November 24, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Well said! “And be aware that what ever we’re going through God has our back”

6. La Donna Hardin
    November 25, 2011 at 12:00 am

This has made my whole day. I am the mother of a newly diagnosed three year old and I read this and smiled. Thank You.

7. November 25, 2011 at 9:02 am

Thank you for writing ‘Be Aware’.
    It’s just beautiful – and it made my day. Please keep writing.