Home > Family Services > Donating in honor of a friend

Donating in honor of a friend

Owen

This blog post is by Owen, with the help of his mom for the big words.

This past July, I started taking hockey lessons from a new coach at our hockey rink. One of the students he had skating with me was seven year old Cody Smith. Sometimes I did not understand why he would play good on some days and then have a bad day at practice (crying, leaving the ice, not listening to coach). His parents told my mom that Cody was a “special” person. He had something called Aspergers. (To a five year old it was just another big word.)  We became friends and started to do fun things together. To me he was not any different from me or any of my other friends, he had good moods and bad moods too just like we did. He played with the same kind of toys, went to normal school, and even played hockey like I did.

In October, we started planning my 6th birthday party. And even though I was excited that presents were going to be coming, I knew that there was something else better. I have all the toys I want, so I wanted to help Cody and kids that were like him. I told my mom and dad that I wanted to help raise money for Cody. I asked my friends who were invited to bring money to help Autism Speaks to the birthday party instead of presents.

A few weeks ago, I had my birthday party. Everyone had fun bouncing around, eating pizza, having cake and ice cream. Many of my first grade classmates and my hockey team attended. They brought presents for me (even though they did not have to) and also money to donate to Autism Speaks. When mom and dad finished counting all of the money, I had raised seven hundred dollars. My parents tell me they are proud of me for helping out someone else. Cody’s mom and dad told me that I was special for helping out a good cause. I just know that I was helping my friend.

Cody

1. Sarah
    December 21, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Thank you so much Owen for being in your friends corner. What a very grown up and mature thing to do. A big thank you to your parents for supporting Cody’s parents. I’m actually in tears…. I cannot imagine.

2. Nancy
    December 22, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Have my crying after reading this. Cant believe that a child so young has the biggest heart in the world. Its great to see parents that instill the values in their children. I wish more ppl would follow ur example. Owen God has given u a heart of gold. May it care u throughout ur life with the same care, love and respect u have shown for others that are indeed special. God Bless you and your parents. Its was a beautiful thing to do.

3. Tracey Grisafi
    December 22, 2011 at 3:12 pm

That is a wonderful thing you have done. Our 13 year old has Aspergers as well. We own a pizza shop & my son came up with the idea to sell cookies & donate all proceeds to a local Autism center. To date we have donated over $ 1200.00. We have wonderful children.

4. Crystal
    December 22, 2011 at 3:51 pm

What a great friend you are Owen. You did a wonderful thing, and you got others to help. Thank you for posting this story. You really encouraged my heart today. It was just what I needed to hear.

5. Madelyn DuChene....the grandmother of a wonderful Asperberger child 7 years old
    December 22, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Bless you Owen!!! You found the wonderful truth that it is better to give than receive. How proud you should be of yourself and your parent must be of you!. Cody is so fortunate to have a friend like you….. a really true friend.

6. Jane
    December 22, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Way to go Owen.

7. Jessica
    December 23, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Owen… I am amazed by you..GOD has put a very special seed in you… I think YOU ROCK!!!!! I truely belive you and Cody are going to be lifelong friends… just can’t semm to quit crying!

8. Lissa
    January 29, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I just ordered a bunch of Autism Awareness bracelets & would like the proceeds to go to Autism Speaks. How would I start the process? Thanks!I