Home > Got Questions?, Science, Uncategorized > Got Questions? The Doctors Will Be In!

Got Questions? The Doctors Will Be In!

Please join us Thursday Feb. 2nd for “The Doctors Are In!” the next in our ongoing series of monthly webchats co-hosted by Autism Speaks Chief Science Officer Geri Dawson, Ph.D., and our Assistant Vice President, Head of Medical Research Joe Horrigan, M.D.

Held at 3 p.m. Eastern (2 Central/1 Mountain/noon Pacific), this monthly “office hour” will provide ongoing, personal access to two leading clinical experts in the behavioral and medical treatment of autism. Dr. Dawson is a licensed clinical psychologist, and Dr. Horrigan is a board-certified child and adolescent psychiatrist.  Both have extensive clinical experience treating individuals with autism spectrum disorder (ASD).

Drs. Dawson and Horrigan welcome your questions on behavioral therapies, medical issues and other concerns related to autism. However, the guidance provided on the webchat is not meant to substitute for care by a personal physician and other appropriate care providers.

This and future webchats can be accessed via the “Live Chat” tab in the left column of the Autism Speaks Facebook page. You can also set up a personal email reminder with direct link here.

We hope you’ll mark it on your calendar:

The Doctors Are In!
* The first Thursday of every month
* 3 p.m. Eastern (2 Central/1 Mountain/noon Pacific)
* Join via the Live Chat tab at https://www.facebook.com/autismspeaks.

Read the transcript of last month’s “Office Hour” webchat here

1. Desray
    January 3, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Hi my son is 5 an half yrs old. He’s stll in nappies and I’m finding it very hard to get him out of them. The problem I’m havin is that,he nows how to wee in the toilet but he does not want to put underpants or shorts on after his visit to the loo. I’m realy having a hard time dealing with this disorder. He’s my only child and I’m scared for him. I would also like to no if Risperdal or Ritalin is ok for Autistic kids to take. Sometimes Jose has some serious meltdowns sometimes and I feel like I need to give him something. Plse help. I’m from South Africa where we don’t have much assistance. Thank u for all that yull do. God Bless.

2. Joyce Long
    January 25, 2012 at 11:35 am

My grandson has those problems too. I had my daughter-in-law try Behavior Balance DMG and it has helped. There is also one that you can put under their tongue that works fast when an episode occurs; Endo Plus.

3. B. A. Travis
    January 25, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I am looking to see if there has been any research or if any of the Drs. would be able to tell me about links to high exposure to pharmeceuticals and ASD.
    The background is while I was pregnant I was working in a pharmeceutical facility that manufactured over the counter cold and pain medications. I was exposed daily to high volumes of raw powdered chemicals. I asked to be transfered but was denied. We were required to ware dust masks when pouring the powdered materials but that was it. I had a healthy baby after over 20 hrs of labor but by 2.5 he was diagnosed with being high functioning Autistic. At 5 he is on par educationally for his age but tests at around 30 months for speech and has trouble with focusing on the task at hand. Before I left the company over a year ago an environmental quality manager was brought in to do air testing and before long all personel working in the same areas as I was were being required to ware tyvek suits with battery operated air respirators.
    The thought has been in the back of my mind but not being able to find anything online on a link but after the drastic change in the way the employees now have to handle the product has brought that thought to the forefront.
    Any thoughts?

4. johna gottula
    January 26, 2012 at 9:39 am

i was getting my 12 yr old son an i pad an i was wanting to know what programs would help him in communication to put on it for him? Thank you

5. johna gottula
    January 26, 2012 at 9:43 am

would really like to help my son be more involved with other self help groups he is 12 years old and concidered high on the spectrum but still needs lots of help in communicating i seen on a talk show that the i pad could help what programs would you suggest for me to put on it. He loves the computer and play station 3

6. vanessa
    January 27, 2012 at 5:28 pm

My 7 year old son has been diagnosed with pdd-nos, anxiety and adhd. Currently he is having a hard time at school connecting with other children. He is obsessed with Hello Kitty and gets picked on by the kids in his class. Recently he is telling people he is a girl or that he wishes he was a girl. He is also introducing himself as his younger brother. I can kind of deal with all this but he seems to be increasingly aggressive lately and hurting himself. I am concerned because I am afraid he will really harm himself or another student. Is there anything I can do to help him? Usually he is pretty easy to work with and calm down but recently he just seems so angry. He is currently on a low dose of Zoloft and Intuniv.

• Patricia Laden
      February 2, 2012 at 1:01 pm

How do you people to answer your questions

7. Erica Overshiner
    January 27, 2012 at 7:42 pm

How much of my son’s tantrums and meltdowns are related to his ASD and how much is just not getting his way??? I am trying so hard to handle them appropriately, but am lost.

8. January 31, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Dear members of our community. Thank you so much for your profound questions! Please join us for Thursday’s webchat, when Drs. Dawson and Horrigan will be answering as many of these questions and live-posted questions as possible. JSS

9. Lorena
    February 1, 2012 at 12:27 pm

I have 4 1/2 years old child who was diagnosed with autism last october, by the school district. That said, I am still trying to figure out how schools diagnose Autism. My son listens and tries to talk, now, he has no digestive issues; he’s not allergic to anything; he is not violent; he is sleeps through the night; he rides hi tricycle; he dresses and east by himself. I guess what I am trying to say is: My son has language delays, some echolalia, plays with kids, but doesn’t communicate with them, and has a hard time looking into ones eyes. Do all of this means he is severely autistic?

• February 2, 2012 at 6:58 am

Hi Lorena,
      Would you please bring this important question to today’s chat? Hope so! Thanks.

10. Patricia Laden
    February 2, 2012 at 11:50 am

I would like to know how to potty train my 7 year old daughter i have tried everything. She will sit there for 1/2 hour or less and then go after she gets up she will have a bm on there. Another thing i need help with is water she will not drink water i have tried diff flavored. I have put water in with the skim milk i give her. She drinks skim milk and i flavor it with strawberry stuff to make a strawberry drink like choc milk. I hope my question that im asking the Dr understands.

• Patricia Laden
      February 2, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Patricia Laden :

11. Azucena Martinez
    February 21, 2012 at 3:12 pm

My son is 3yrs. old was born 1mo. early and was delayed in his talking, crawling, walking and communications. To this day I have had bad respondent from my church that we attend both from the English teachers and the Spanish teachers. The English teachers told me upfront they will not care care of Isaac my son. The Spanish teachers said he does not look like he has anything wrong and its my fault why he act the way he act due to me treating him different. Not to put in my mined what the doctors are telling me because they are just not aware that he does not look different. Please adv, to me how can I help my son. Thank you.