White Castle along with NEST Fragrances and Autism Speaks, celebrated the success of the Original Slider®-scented candle with sliders and signature martinis at a press event on December 14 at White Castle’s 8th Avenue, New York City location.
This ‘Little Candle That Could’ has captured the hearts of Cravers, autism supporters, the media and celebrities, including television host, author, and magazine publisher Martha Stewart, and world-renowned fashion designer Vera Wang, both of whom stopped by the event on Tuesday to support the candle’s cause.
The small but impressive Original Slider®-scented candle, simply packaged in a ceramic holder replicating the White Castle hamburger signature cardboard sleeve, has warmed White Castle Cravers’ homes all over the country.
“Our original goal simply was to sell a fun, distinctive candle for our Cravers that could help raise funds for Autism Speaks,” said Jamie Richardson, White Castle Vice President of Corporate Communications. “We never anticipated the amount of good this candle would do. The amount of its sales has raised to support Autism Speaks is just remarkable and surpassed everyone’s expectations.”
The candle first debuted in May to commemorate the 18th annual celebration of National Hamburger Month. White Castle teamed up with Laura Slatkin, Founder and CEO of NEST Fragrances, often called the “Queen of home fragrance,” to introduce a candle with scent of America’s first fast-food hamburger. The idea for the candle was sparked when White Castle executives met Slatkin, who sits on the board of Autism Speaks.
During the event, White Castle presented Autism Speaks with a check for $500,000, representing the net proceeds from the candle’s sales. “White Castle, The Ingrams, and the Slatkins have been such terrific friends to our organization over the years and we can’t thank them enough for their commitment to Autism Speaks. This is a wonderful gift to the autism community, and it’s just in time for the holidays. Thank you for helping us to change the future for all who struggle with autism spectrum disorders” remarked Autism Speaks Co-founder Bob Wright, who, along with his Co-founder Suzanne Wright, were on hand to accept the check.
Richardson said White Castle expects to donate more as the holiday gift season is in full swing and candles are still selling. “I am thrilled the candle has been so well received by White Castle lovers everywhere – it has become one of the hit cause-related gifts this holiday season,” Slatkin said. “NEST and White Castle have a strong relationship and this is just another example of a lot of good happening when two companies join forces.”
The candles are currently available in White Castle restaurants nationwide. The candles are temporarily sold out at White Castle’s online store; the company expects to have them available online soon.
Top 10 Reasons to Buy!!!
1. Holidays are right around the corner. What a great stocking stuffer?!
2. Save on your electric bill AND have your house smell delicious. Hit two birds with one stone!
3. Harold and Kumar are among your favorite movie characters of all time.
4. If you didn’t know, White Castle was the first hamburger chain, buy a candle and be part of history.
5. 4,000 candles have already sold, and there are limited quantities available, shop now!
6. Why pay a fortune to go to a spa, when you can have a White Castle customized aromatherapy treatment?
7. For those of you dieting, you get the burger without the calories!
8. Saturday night is date night with your wife. (And candlelight ups the romance factor.)
9. The smell of BBQ’s will waft through your house. Who wouldn’t want that in November?
10. They are only $13, and a portion of each White Castle candle sold benefits Autism Speaks.
Special thanks to those who made this happen – our corporate partner White Castle, Autism Speaks’ board member, Laura Slatkin, and her company, NEST Fragrances. Laura and her husband, Harry, who founded the New York Center for Autism, have a son with autism. The Slatkins are long-time supporters of Autism Speaks.